Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

signing my granddaughter up for Kindergarten & grandson for Pre K 3

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have signed both of my grand children up for school, I am not worried about my graddaughter she has been in PreK 4 for a year...I am worried about my grandson he is 3 and is VERY active his dad has ADD & ADHD and I am concerned my grandson has ADHD are there any tests for this given at his age? I don't want him to go to school and have problems from the get go. ~Andrea
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

It is typically too young but you can express your concerns to the teachers about his parental history of these things.   That is what we did for dd when she went to kindergarten.   She does not have either but still a high energy girl who does not like to stay still often in class.  She is in 1st grade now and we are still working on her tolerance for static (staying still) activities.  The good news is if they do see those tendencies in your grandson, they can teach him how to be calmer.   Boys are typically more active and rambunctious than girls anyhow.  Time will show how he does in a class setting.

ninamsi
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

There are ways to test children that age.  Look for Early Intervention programs in your area or mention your concern to the school.  I am sure they will have resources and information to help you,

admflagurl38
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Ohh ok good....then there is hope! My son who is 20 now was so calm ...I am hoping he calms down...I see small changes....Thank you. ~Andrea
corrinacs
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Hey!

I think putting them into a school setting will be of benefit to them :).  I hope your granddaughter has a great first day of Kindergarten :).  My son LOVES it :)

About your grandson, I think he will be fine.  THe nice thing is that preschool is not nearly as formal as Kindergarten and beyond.  If they notice any problems, you will have a good year to fix it :).  I don't know if they test this early in the game or not, but if its obviously hindering his ability to learn and be involved with a group, I'm sure they will be able to help you sort it out!

I think you are doing a great thing :).  Good luck!

admflagurl38
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Ohh ok good....then there is hope! My son who is 20 now was so calm ...I am hoping he calms down...I see small changes....Thank you. ~Andrea
admflagurl38
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM
The school director said they can test him for ESC not sure if that's a good thing or not?
Andrea
admflagurl38
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I am thinking this will be a good thing for him maybe structure will calm him down...My grandaughter is loving Pre K 4 I know she will Love kindergarten. They pull a full hours for schedule 7:30 am- 2:30 pm...long day ...going to see if thry can do half days at first. ~Andrea
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My dd went from no formal schooling to full day kindergarten  9:05 - 3:35.  She did great so i think your grand-daughter will do wonderful as well since she has been able to go to prek 4.

admflagurl38
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Oh I know my granddaughter will be fine she loves school. My grandson he's a different story...lol not sure if he is going to be a le to get along with others, listen and sit still...~Andrea
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

This

Quoting frndlyfn:

It is typically too young but you can express your concerns to the teachers about his parental history of these things.   That is what we did for dd when she went to kindergarten.   She does not have either but still a high energy girl who does not like to stay still often in class.  She is in 1st grade now and we are still working on her tolerance for static (staying still) activities.  The good news is if they do see those tendencies in your grandson, they can teach him how to be calmer.   Boys are typically more active and rambunctious than girls anyhow.  Time will show how he does in a class setting.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)