Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your child's school have a "Grandparents day"?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 66 Replies

My kids' schools both do and I honestly find it wrong on so many levels. Not every child has a grandparent to attend the events. Now they claim not every child has a parent but at the same time, who ever has custody of the child is welcomed to attend any event where a parent would attend BUT parents are not welcomed to attend "Grandparents day", so if your child doesn't have a grandparent they are left out. One of the schools is Catholic, so they celebrate every Catholic Holiday and Mardi Gras plus Grandparents and God parents day (both which I hate but they give kids without grandparents another fun activity like pizza and a movie). The other is a Charter school that claims they claim they don't celebrate basically anything because it MIGHT be offensive to someone, so how is it that "Grandparents day" is any different? How about they send home a survey with the "holidays" of each month and ask the parents what they find offensive and go from there? Today was Grandparents day at the charter school, my kid has been crying for 3 days because he didn't have anyone to go with him. This morning, we had quite a few kids crying because they didn't have a grandparent attending. How is this "fair" for the kids? I know 2 kids whose mother is out of town working BUT Grandma goes to every activity, including this one. So the whole "some kids don't have a mom or a dad" is invalid because they have a guardian who is allowed to any activity a parent would be allowed. 

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SP_Mama
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

They do.  Grandparent's are invited to come eat lunch at the school with their grandkids.  Both my mom and I went for DS and then SS's mom and great-grandma went for SS. 

I don't think they should keep someone who is legally not a grandparent out, but I don't see the big deal about a grandparent's day either.

ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM
They do but my kids grandparents cannot go. My mom works full time, and their dad's parents tour with bands this time of year. It is actually today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

No.  I've never heard of it before.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Yes it does.
soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

They don't here.  My kids grandparents live too far so wouldn't be able to make it but I would find an older person to play the role.

family in the van   Mom of four

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Our kids school did (for just K-2nd grade for some reason.) My in-laws' were too elderly/infirmed to attend. My parents went to my oldests' day, but were unable to take off work to attend with my daughter. It was a little disappointing for her, but she handled it well. I wish she could have had someone there, but at the same time there is value in learning how to handle disappointment.

My youngest is in 2nd grade, but I haven't seen any information about it this year, so IDK if there will be a grandparents' day.

iansusie
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

But YOU got to be there and eat lunch with him, so if Grandma couldn't come, you still could be there. Parents were told they were not allowed in the classrooms for the activity. ONLY grandparents. I have an issue with the pick and choose, if the kids can't do X because someone MIGHT be offended then don't do Y that you are being told by parents that they are offended or bothered (matter of factly, not an assumption)

Quoting SP_Mama:

They do.  Grandparent's are invited to come eat lunch at the school with their grandkids.  Both my mom and I went for DS and then SS's mom and great-grandma went for SS. 

I don't think they should keep someone who is legally not a grandparent out, but I don't see the big deal about a grandparent's day either.

iansusie
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I did that for my oldest but considering grandparents had to go to the classroom on the 3rd floor. The "older" person I know would have done it, can't go up stairs. I think my biggest peeve is they claim to not want to offend anyone with some activities but they don't care about the other activities if it suits their agenda.

Quoting soymujer:

They don't here.  My kids grandparents live too far so wouldn't be able to make it but I would find an older person to play the role.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Our school has a VIP day--the VIP can be any family member/neighbor/family friend.  Our parents live 3-5 hours away (and all work) so there's no way they could make it for a Grandparents day.  DH, my youngest son, and I are my 2nd graders VIP visitors again this year. 

iansusie
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My biggest peeve is don't pick and choose what MIGHT be offensive, specially when you got emails and phone calls from parents asking if they could bring an aunt/uncle, etc (someone obviously younger, not a grandparent) and they said no. And they didn't allow parents to go to the classrooms. Off course they know who my kid's mother is, they see me every day, she specifically went to me and told me I was not allowed to go to the classroom. So After I gave her a piece of my mind, I went and grabbed my kid, walked out of school took him for a ride and brought him back... never signed him in or out.... 

A lesson about disappointment, my child lives daily with the disappointment of not having a grandparent because she is DEAD and grandfathers live in another state and another country. I am sorry, a lesson in disappointment at school comes daily when he doesn't get to be first in line, when he doesn't get to be the helper, when he doesn't get to choose the blue cupcake or the biggest balloon and I am fine with that.... 

Quoting SahmTam:

Our kids school did (for just K-2nd grade for some reason.) My in-laws' were too elderly/infirmed to attend. My parents went to my oldests' day, but were unable to take off work to attend with my daughter. It was a little disappointing for her, but she handled it well. I wish she could have had someone there, but at the same time there is value in learning how to handle disappointment.

My youngest is in 2nd grade, but I haven't seen any information about it this year, so IDK if there will be a grandparents' day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)