Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

teaching sight words

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 41 Replies
So you ladies gave me awesome advice for getting my 5yr old ready for K. One was working on some sight words.
I tried yesterday. I went through the deck and found the 2 and 3 letter words to start with.
My plan was to have him identify each letter in the word then sound it out.
He DOES know all his letters ans DOES know the sounds.
Yet when we tried the cards, all he would say is "I don't know". I kept telling. Him he did know, he knows all his letters and just needed to try and remember. He tried telling me a lower case h was an o.
I can only imagine how school is going to be if all he says is ;I don't know" all the time!

Maybe I going about it wrong, or maybe its just me and it would be better if I just leave it to the teachers?
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taz1993
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
My 5 yr old dd still does that after a yr of kindergarten. She knows them but when we have to study them she says that she doesn't know them.
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Just a note and a little advice.  With sight words they are just that, words they learn from just the sight of them.  Not learning to read them phonetically (sounding out).  And I am talking about the simpler ones such as: is, the, an, a, at, me, we, etc.  You will be amazed just how much they do learn that first year in Kindergarten, it is awesome to watch :D

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I've been teaching my 2 year old twins sight words not for four months. I stick the name of things all around the house. Believe me they are catching on quick. I use index cards and just tape those cards everywhere and on everything.

cupomeow
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Most schools use Dolch site words.  Maybe you can set up a reward system. Say when he knows 10 words he gets a prize and when he knows 20, he gets a bigger prize.

kngarber
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM
My dd says that constantly but gets perfect scores on everything. She knows she just doesn't want to. Lol.
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Sight words like cat,bat you mean?
kngarber
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
It really is astounding.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

Just a note and a little advice.  With sight words they are just that, words they learn from just the sight of them.  Not learning to read them phonetically (sounding out).  And I am talking about the simpler ones such as: is, the, an, a, at, me, we, etc.  You will be amazed just how much they do learn that first year in Kindergarten, it is awesome to watch :D

shajdinyak
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Just show him and say the words together. Sight words are all about repetition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Make it fun not boring flash cards.  There are a few dvds out as well for preschool age which make it fun for the children to learn.  Does he have to know them to enter kindergarten?  If not, dont ruin kindergarten learning for him.  He will be so proud to come home and tell you the words he knows how to read.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Quoting shajdinyak:

Just show him and say the words together. Sight words are all about repetition.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)