Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you send your child to school if you got this letter? **Update

Posted by   + Show Post

I am writing to let you know about a situation that has occurred in our high school building. It was reported last week that under a stool in the library, someone had written in pencil, “There will be blood 4/26/13.” The stool was immediately removed, law enforcement was contacted, and along with our high school administrative team began to investigate and assess this matter. We are receiving comments and feedback that there is a concern across our district about this event. The purpose of this letter is to let you know what we know and what we are doing to respond to this matter. While all schools are not directly involved, we wanted to communicate with our entire district.

We do not believe this discovery to be a cause for alarm, but out of an abundance of caution we have put together a plan for increased police presence at our campuses on Friday, April 26, 2013. We are working in concert with the Travis County Sheriff’s Office and our School Resource Officers, the Lakeway Police Department, and the Bee Cave Police Department to coordinate monitoring at LTHS and LTMS. In addition, you will see an increased police presence at all LTISD campuses.

Once again, let me remind you that the district has a well-defined crisis management plan that we have rehearsed and that we reassess after every incident. We strive to be on alert every day. Our goal is to be as prepared as possible if a crisis were to affect any of our schools. We are in constant communication with all of our area law enforcement agencies to make sure that our crisis management plan has been well-vetted and is clearly understood by all who would respond.

As you can appreciate, this is an intrusion into our school day and learning environment. We take these types of situations seriously and will investigate to determine who was involved and apply consequences as appropriate. I urge you to send your child to school tomorrow, but I also respect your rights and needs as parents to make informed decisions for our children. If you have a student in the high school or LTMS, please explain our plans for the day and encourage your student to immediately report any suspicious activity to an adult. Together, we will continue to work to protect our children and foster a safe learning environment.

Update:

I sent him to school. He's actually in the elementary school in the district. I kind of panicked because after Sandy Hook you never know, even the little ones aren't safe anymore. My baby sister goes to the high school (she's a senior) and my mom wanted her to stay home but she ended up going. The had police cars around the school and at all the elementary schools as well. Thankfully nothing happened, though I was checking my phone and email all day (the school has email, text, and phone alerts anytime anything happens at any of the schools). I'm just worried that they haven't caught the kid yet. It was just an idiot prank it seems like, but still eek.

Follow up letter:

I am pleased to report that our teachers and staff delivered a full day of instruction without incident across our district today. I’d like to thank them, as well as the students in attendance today, for honoring the commitment to their education which resulted in a meaningful and educational day.

I would also like to thank the Travis County Sheriff’s Office, the City of Bee Cave Police Department and the City of Lakeway Police Department for their concerted response and support. While this matter remains under investigation, please know that law enforcement and district officials will remain vigilant as it pertains to school safety. Rest assured we take this matter seriously and are taking all appropriate actions to identify and address those responsible for the duress placed upon our school.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
funny_girl3
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

No, I wouldn't send my kids, though my gut says that the threat was probably written by some kid being stupid, and it's not a real threat. 

shima
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I keep hopping back and forth. Am I overreacting or am I just taking the right precautions for the world we're living in?

Quoting _Mrs.H_:

I probably would but I have never gotten a letter like that.

Go with your gut.

shima
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I keep going back and forth myself. I still am not sure what to do.

Quoting funny_girl3:

No, I wouldn't send my kids, though my gut says that the threat was probably written by some kid being stupid, and it's not a real threat. 

shima
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I live in Texas as well. What holiday?

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

My girls won't be going to school tomorrow, then again in Texas tomorrow is considered a holiday.

annelauer
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I wouldn't because I'd never forgive myself if something did happen. Most likely nothing will come of it, but just in case...
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM
No I would not.
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM
THE WORLD IS SO FUCKED UP NOW..
jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM
I don't think I would.
honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Nope, as a matter of fact that time , there was a news break here that this guy in town calls all the catholic schools and posts he will blow them all up,  The school notified us, I left right away and pulled him from school, I didn't send my kid to school for a few days. 

rmfanfgljf
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I thought it was state wide but I just heard it is only in San Antonio (?) But tomorrow is "battle of the flowers".

Quoting shima:

I live in Texas as well. What holiday?

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

My girls won't be going to school tomorrow, then again in Texas tomorrow is considered a holiday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN