Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Volunteering(sp) at your kids school. PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 125 Replies
5 moms liked this
I started volunteering at my dd school back in Sept. I don't know if some of you remember I posted about fixing their library. Well I finished it in Jan and I felt so good about it.Now I volunteer at the lunchroom/recess time. I did the Scholastic book fair last year and will be doing another one next month. Plus I help out with anything they need. After doing all that I have decided to go into assistant teaching,I enjoy kids after all lol.But parents should really volunteer as much as they can, not just to help out but it gives them an idea of what goes on in their kids school. And they can see how hard teachers have it its not as easy as it looks.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM
My boys new school doesnt seem to be very volunteer friendly. I've offered to help out in the classroom or anywhere else. I signed up for the pta but never heard anything. I don't even know who the pta president is. Aside from being a chaperone for feildtrips I get nothing. It really sucks.
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I work during the school day, so I can't volunteer during school hours. I help when I can, but it's pretty rare that I get the chance. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
We homeschool through a charter school but there are workshops. I'm always in the workshops helping out but I have never seen some parents. And there's one mom who keeps dumping all 4 of her kids at pe (the oldest one is school aged and the second oldest might be but the others are 1 and 3) and leaving them there. Guess who gets to go track her down weekly when her 1 year old starts crying for her? Me! Me just turned 3 year old participates in all of the workshops but I'm there with her.
aj23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm at my sons school so much that I've had people ask which department I worked in. I've been there all week this week for the TCAP tests (state tests for TN) and I'll be there next week for the SAT-10 tests for the lower grades. Its gotten to the point where if I don't volunteer for something they will call and ask me to do it. I don't mind but it does aggravate me that every time there are sign ups it's the same few parents doing something and out of 800 kids there should be more than 5 parents offering to do something even if its something as minor as sending in snacks.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this

I loved volunteering too. More parents should do it, it's very rewarding!

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Wow,that does suck

Quoting momofjkkc:

My boys new school doesnt seem to be very volunteer friendly. I've offered to help out in the classroom or anywhere else. I signed up for the pta but never heard anything. I don't even know who the pta president is. Aside from being a chaperone for feildtrips I get nothing. It really sucks.
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
That's the same thing with me,I'm always asked first for everything. And parents volunteer one day and never show up its really annoying. But if there is a trip everyone signs up for it

Quoting aj23:

I'm at my sons school so much that I've had people ask which department I worked in. I've been there all week this week for the TCAP tests (state tests for TN) and I'll be there next week for the SAT-10 tests for the lower grades. Its gotten to the point where if I don't volunteer for something they will call and ask me to do it. I don't mind but it does aggravate me that every time there are sign ups it's the same few parents doing something and out of 800 kids there should be more than 5 parents offering to do something even if its something as minor as sending in snacks.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Totallly! I have a whole new respect for teachers. I can't imagine not volunteering in the class especially younger grades. (unless work prevents you from doing so). I have learned so much about the classes and the dynamics. Usually when I am there after about an hour I am ready to get the heck out. lol. But when kids run up to give you a hug it is very rewarding.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I help with anything asked... I have found it has helped the teacher's view of me too. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Lol today I told one of the teachers,how do you do it everyday? I dream of words "no running,stop pushing,be quiet".... I say those words so much I imagine people running at home. But when they recognize me and run to give me a hug its priceless.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Totallly! I have a whole new respect for teachers. I can't imagine not volunteering in the class especially younger grades. (unless work prevents you from doing so). I have learned so much about the classes and the dynamics. Usually when I am there after about an hour I am ready to get the heck out. lol. But when kids run up to give you a hug it is very rewarding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)