Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Volunteering(sp) at your kids school. PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post
I started volunteering at my dd school back in Sept. I don't know if some of you remember I posted about fixing their library. Well I finished it in Jan and I felt so good about it.Now I volunteer at the lunchroom/recess time. I did the Scholastic book fair last year and will be doing another one next month. Plus I help out with anything they need. After doing all that I have decided to go into assistant teaching,I enjoy kids after all lol.But parents should really volunteer as much as they can, not just to help out but it gives them an idea of what goes on in their kids school. And they can see how hard teachers have it its not as easy as it looks.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
TJFBGMommy
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids school requires a certain number of volunteer hours every year from each family. But I'm there way more than that.  On Monday, while my daughters k/1 family group was mixing and baking their snacks for the week, there were 9 parents helping out. I love it and so do the teachers.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I love being at my kids' school. It's nice to see what they are doing and it's nostalgic for me because I went to their elementary school when I was a kid, too. I've been helping the art teacher create bulletin boards throughout the school and helping to mount artwork over the past few months. Coming up in May I have a few field trips and will be helping with the Bike Rodeo, and Mobile Agriculture Lab. In past years I've always helped with the carnival (FUN!), but this year I'll only be dropping off baked goods ahead of time because my oldests' band concert is the same night.

I miss being in the classrooms, but it's rare for parents' to be in the older grade classrooms here. They just don't have many activities that require extra supervision. There are no lunch or recess volunteers here, either, as there are paid positions.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I am the head of three PTA comities and room mom. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I love to go in and volunteer! I help in the library once a week when dd's class is in there, help ds2's teacher once a month w/ making copies and whatever else she needs done, go on field trips, and help in the middle school library once a week (ds1 is in 8th gr).

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM
At his old school the PTA was very involed. They paid for most of the.stuff that school has, granted its only 12 years old but still. I was in atleast 2 committee a year and incharge of the popcorn sales, helped out in the classroom and the teachers sent stuff home with my son for me to do, and I was always a feildtrip chaperone. Now absolutly nothing.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Wow,that does suck

Quoting momofjkkc:

My boys new school doesnt seem to be very volunteer friendly. I've offered to help out in the classroom or anywhere else. I signed up for the pta but never heard anything. I don't even know who the pta president is. Aside from being a chaperone for feildtrips I get nothing. It really sucks.

Rbrown72707
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sending DD to private school.  Volunteer hours are mandatory.  We have to complete 20 hours per year.  I don't mind doing it because I would have anyhow.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be nice if more parents did that. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't agree with you more.  I've been at our school all week long and quite honestly, I'm beyond ready for the weekend.  By Monday, I'll be ready to go back to school and help out again though.

StoneColdKiller
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldnt agree more with you. I love being highly involved in the school. I help my son's teacher out almost daily. Im also very involved in the PTA. I think being so involved with only benefit my son in the end and I have other moms that do what I do and have older kids back me on it.

StoneColdKiller
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:43 AM

I have found this to be very true at our school. And I don't think its favoring some parents over other. Its we can depend on her lets get her cause if she says yes we know we got her. I'm asked to do a lot and I think I currently have more hours then any other volunteer but only cause I seriously enjoy being there. I love being around the kids and the staff is awesome. I have seen to many volunteers come in and just disappoint staff members.

Quoting aj23:

I'm at my sons school so much that I've had people ask which department I worked in. I've been there all week this week for the TCAP tests (state tests for TN) and I'll be there next week for the SAT-10 tests for the lower grades. Its gotten to the point where if I don't volunteer for something they will call and ask me to do it. I don't mind but it does aggravate me that every time there are sign ups it's the same few parents doing something and out of 800 kids there should be more than 5 parents offering to do something even if its something as minor as sending in snacks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)