Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Volunteering(sp) at your kids school. PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post
I started volunteering at my dd school back in Sept. I don't know if some of you remember I posted about fixing their library. Well I finished it in Jan and I felt so good about it.Now I volunteer at the lunchroom/recess time. I did the Scholastic book fair last year and will be doing another one next month. Plus I help out with anything they need. After doing all that I have decided to go into assistant teaching,I enjoy kids after all lol.But parents should really volunteer as much as they can, not just to help out but it gives them an idea of what goes on in their kids school. And they can see how hard teachers have it its not as easy as it looks.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
PurplePieguy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer in my 1st graders class once or twice a week. I also volunteer at the middle school for the band teacher.

JTROX
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't because I'm busy teaching in my own school.

We love parent volunteers!  We just held a special breakfast for volunteers yesterday before school.

SwtSnowflake2
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I have volunteered and want to be a TA also. It's really hard in my district to be a TA because there is so much competition.
ForeverInLove
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's school is always asking for volunteers, but they almost always want help when my husband is sleeping, or working. It sucks, but I have two other kids to take care of.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I teach, so I don't have time to volunteer at another school. I donate and do the fundraisers though. I definitely know how busy teachers are. ;)
JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I love volunteering at ds' school. Once a week, I volunteer in the library. I have done that since he was in K, he's in 2nd grade now. It's fun. This year it's especially helpful to his teacher because the librarian is only at our school one day a week, and ds' class has library on a different day. So, without volunteers, it would just be his teacher and 25 second graders that all needed help with finding books, checking out books, logging onto the computer, etc.

I also volunteer every year at the book fairs (fall & spring), holiday shop, and Field Day (I just asked for the day off work for field day next month). I go on field trips and help in the classroom anytime the teacher has a special project or something going on and could use help. I love being involved in his school, getting to know the teacher and kids.

AlaskAmber
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this

My son's school also requires parents to volunteer. He goes to a charter school that is on a lottery for getting in, so we knew going into it that we had to put time in. We have to do 36 hours during the year. I was well past that as of last month but I love being there and helping out so I am still volunteering. I helped on the yearbook, have gone on every field trip, attended every holiday party but one (we were on vacation) and I help in his class every Tuesday. I have also done special craft projects at home they needed help with and I've helped in the office a little bit. His school is very much pro-parent volunteering. DS is in kindergarten so this is our first year at this school so early on I wanted to know everything he was doing. Even in kindergarten they have rotating lab classes, so one day he'll have geography and the next he'll have art or science or computer lab. I was very curious about what these classes were like, so I asked about them. The principal told me (even encouraged) that I go to those lab classes and watch or help out. So I went to each one at least once. It gave me a chance to meet the other teachers he has and have a better understanding of what his day is like and what he's learning. I love his school now and am so happy with our choice to send him there. Already I feel like I know most of the staff and they are very welcoming and helpful. They've also gotten to know me enough that they asked that I help run picture days next year. It's nice that they can see already that I am a good volunteer and I'm happy to be there helping.

I will say though that there is ALWAYS something for parents to do and yet, we are down to the last two weeks of school and many parents have not completed their hours. I think it's frustrating that not everyone is helping out and many of us are always there and offering to help any time the school/teachers ask for volunteers. It's all the same parents, all the time! It's not like all the others didn't know going into it that the time is required. You have to sign and agreement when accepting the slot for your child! Hopefully more parents will step up but I've heard from others that its always that way. A few parents will always be super helpful and many others will do as little as possible or only pick the easy things to complete their hours. I just know that for me, it's so worth my time to be there and know what goes on at DS's school and what kids are in his class, etc because he'll be in this school until 8th grade. I'd rather know what he's learning/doing and who he is friends with. 

Quoting TJFBGMommy:

My kids school requires a certain number of volunteer hours every year from each family. But I'm there way more than that.  On Monday, while my daughters k/1 family group was mixing and baking their snacks for the week, there were 9 parents helping out. I love it and so do the teachers.

johnny4ever
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I been volunteering for 4 years now.I was asked to Chair a few things.I was just asked to be Lead on cosi event plus I volunteer in Library.I was just asked to Volunteer in Office till school is out.So I am on the list for a part time job.Hope it pans out for Me.

JeremysMom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I normally volunteer quite a bit at my son's school but this year it has been very hard. I also work at a school as a volunteer coordinator and once I got a promotion and added more responsibilities, something had to give. I still volunteer when I can, just not as much as in the past.

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I wish more parents would volunteer at the school more, but I understand many parents work when their children are at school. I am one of those parents. I do donate, pay my PTO fees, and give my time to the after school events.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN