Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Volunteering(sp) at your kids school. PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post
I started volunteering at my dd school back in Sept. I don't know if some of you remember I posted about fixing their library. Well I finished it in Jan and I felt so good about it.Now I volunteer at the lunchroom/recess time. I did the Scholastic book fair last year and will be doing another one next month. Plus I help out with anything they need. After doing all that I have decided to go into assistant teaching,I enjoy kids after all lol.But parents should really volunteer as much as they can, not just to help out but it gives them an idea of what goes on in their kids school. And they can see how hard teachers have it its not as easy as it looks.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I miss volunteering but I can't take my little one with me.

Last year I could take her to the class parties, so I signed up for those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I work full-time so I don't get to volunteer as much as I want. I know last year I offered to volunteer several times but the teacher never took me up on the offer. I don't find the school near me to be volunteer friendly.

AnnaNonamus
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been volunteering in the classroom since my oldest was in pre-school (she's a junior in HS this year). I help out with class parties and chaperoning, but I'm also in the class on a weekly basis to help with classes, homework folders, and correcting papers.

I also volunteer as a Girl Scout leader in my youngest DD's troop.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer a lot. Many are just I randomly show up, and the teachers will ask me to help with whatever. Lol I live a block from the school. I am a strong promoter of being kind, friendly, sharing, accepting everyone. :) if I see a child at lunch or in the classroom that looks left out, I being that child over to the group and include them. I might compliment them on something. :) I was the outcast, bullied, nerd. So, I want to try to prevent other kids (none have been mine) from feeling left out.

mollymolly
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and it demonstrates to your child that education is important to the entire family.  It also makes your child feel special that it's their mom who is at school.  I volunteered for years at my kids' schools.  I've never regretted the time that I spent there.

GotSomeKids
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer once a week in the at room.  I put up all the art in the school.  I also serve with the PTA.  I run the local element of the National Reflections program for our school.  I've helped with 4 events so far and currently working on the silent auction committee for a fundraiser next month and planning a tea party for teacher appreciation week.  I do various things on the side as well....whatever their teacher may need.

Not in the school, but I also volunteer with the state library.

HollyHawk333
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I am there 3-4 days a week and my husband at least once a week but a lot of times more. We help with all the extra activities too. My dd is in her first year of preschool.
Myshon
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have volunteered at my kids school since my youngest was in kindergarten (now in 7th grade). Just last week I was asked by the principal to become a substitute. She said i was there literally everyday anyway so i might as well get pd for it. I did and am now a new employee of the school district as of 4/25/13. I already have my first 3 assignments scheduled. 

jett286
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I started volunteering when my oldest was in Kindergarten...I was at the elementary school almost everyday..Joined the PTA and was a full time volunteer for the state PTA for several years.  I know most of the kids the boys know and am at least familiar with the parents.  My oldest graduates this year....  When they started high school I backed way off (they didn't want mommy there al the time) so I do special event is about it anymore.  I LOVED every minute and am so glad to have known the teachers and staff..  It does help with their education, but being an involved parent doesn't always look the same for everyone.  Now involvement means checking in with them about school everyday...but the school doesn't know we do that! 

christina259
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

you just made me want to volunteer,lol. I do realize teachers don't have it easy and they need all the help they can get. I used to have frequent severe migraines and I never was sure when one was going to come so I've always been afraid to say yes I will definitely be there and then end up having to tough it out during a migraine. I even quit working because of them. Thank goodness for dh getting a pay raise and my partial disability check I was able to do that. Constant migraines really turned my life upside down. They'de get pretty bad and I'd even throw up from them in the days before I quit working and learned to manage them with meds, rest,etc.. Plus I get this odd aura. When I try to read anything, the center of the word just disappears and I can't even read. Its ridiculous. Then my ds came along. he's seven months now and I haven't really had a bad migraine since he's been born (knock on wood) The migraines were in part related to my hormones and that time of the month but they sometimes struck in between those times too. While pregnant and breastfeeding my migraines go away. i hope they stay away. I always feel guilty being one of the non volunteers year after year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN