Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Volunteering(sp) at your kids school. PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post
I started volunteering at my dd school back in Sept. I don't know if some of you remember I posted about fixing their library. Well I finished it in Jan and I felt so good about it.Now I volunteer at the lunchroom/recess time. I did the Scholastic book fair last year and will be doing another one next month. Plus I help out with anything they need. After doing all that I have decided to go into assistant teaching,I enjoy kids after all lol.But parents should really volunteer as much as they can, not just to help out but it gives them an idea of what goes on in their kids school. And they can see how hard teachers have it its not as easy as it looks.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
lovemybabies31
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I do and love it!
MarcellaFL
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do! I just received a Silver President's Volunteer Service Award for volunteering almost 500 hours in a school year. This year I am going for a gold!

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer when I can.

ProudMommy51006
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I volunteer at my dd's school. Not as much as I'd like because I have a younger child that has to go with me to volunteer and that's not always ok... but I do what I can. I love that the students know who I am, "Hey you're Brookelyn's Mommy!" And I love being involved with the teachers :)
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I donate items to the classroom when they need stuff. I would love to volunteer in my daughters class room but can not due to always having my youngest child with me and no one else to watch him.

VickyJoJo
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I was a very busy volunteer when my daughter was in elementary school.  I did in-class volunteering and field trips at the lower grades (k-2) and field trips, special nights, room mom, and PTO (I was President one year) in grades 3-5 (separate school from k-2).  I loved it but agree with a previous poster that it is always the same few parents that do all the work.  I think it is hard for new volunteers to feel welcome despite best efforts.  Others just don't want or can't take the time.

My daughter is in middle school now and they do not need or even want the parental help.  I stay in touch by attending monthly school superintendent meetings but it isn't the same.   The elementary PTO just sent out an email that they will potentially disband next year unless they get volunteers.  So sad.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a teacher; they don't allow us to take off to volunteer in another school.  That wouldn't come under one of the allowed reasons for a personal day and definitely not qualify as a sick day.  I have offered to do things that can be done at home and have helped out that way but in the school isn't possible.

robsgurl_23
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer in the library at my oldest daughters school every friday.

Autumn19
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

im part of a moms group and its as close to a PTA as we have.

progressandjoy
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I didn't have a lot of time to volunteer, but I helped with the reading programs in the morning. I had to stop midway through, because I ended up getting busy during that time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)