Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I'm a bad mom, I don't like playdates (update, 2nd comment on 3rd page)

Ok, I don't mind pawning my child off elsewhere for a playdate, but having them at my house isn't all that exciting for me. 

Today was my son's first official playdate that wasn't with family. A neighbor rode his bike over, and after talking to his mom, he wound up in my backyard for about 1/2 hour. Then we walked him home and they played at his house for like 1/2 hour. I feel like a bad mom because I guess I don't really like this kid. He used to hit and kick my son on the bus. My son really wants to play with him so I finally gave in. He wasn't bad, I just can't get over the fact that he has hit my child on more than one occasion.

As we were leaving, the child was asking to come back to play again tomorrow. I feel kinda bad making up excuses to give a 6 y/o

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (31-36):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM

*shrug* I love playdates. During the summer, there are always extra kids in our house, or my kids are at somebody else's house. Then again, I've always loved kids...So much that I now co-manage a daycare center, LOL!

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

Ryansmom2004
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

You can't judge a child for something that happened in the past. If they are friends now let it go. My son used to get picked on by a kid on his bus and now they are the best of friends

ilovemykids365
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I'm going thru something similar with my 10 yr. old dd. We recently moved to another state and my dd is having problems making friends. This little girl (I think she's 8 or 9) keeps picking on my dd and they butt heads a lot. I said something to the mom and she said, "kids will be kids ya know." This girl is from church so it not like she can avoid her. I feel so bad for my dd. There's been times she has come home from school crying over other kids not wanting to come over and making up excuses to tell my dd. Bugs me that there's nothing I can do about it. :/

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I don't mind the playdates. It keeps my boys from fighting with one another and keeps them busy while I get some cleaning done in peace.

Rlmama00
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM
This kid is 6 and you are holding a grudge because he hit your ds? It's not like they are 10 and it just happened. A 6 year old is still pretty young and unless hitting and bullying is constant you really need to relax. Its not that unusual for a child to mess up and use their hands instead of their words, even good children. Kids need to learn to work things out on their own sometimes and it seems that your ds has already done that.
bear2973
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM

i am thinking i would start trying to break this "friendship" up in as neighborhood-friendly (screaming moms) way as possible. if that kid is this aggressive this young (six, right?), imagine what he's gonna be like in a few years when the hormones (and muscles) start kicking in. maybe put time limits on the time he's at your house, and/or treat your boy to a trip to the park for going along with the other one having to leave early. most kids seem to have a good radar for when they are not wanted underfoot. it occurrs to me that there maybe a reason the boy doesn't want to be at his house, but--IMO--more than likely his mom's pitching him out cause he's just as big a pain in the butt at her place too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN