Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

That's not the way I learned it!! Edit Added

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Max
  • 91 Replies
2 moms liked this

As a parent do you expect your learn things the exact same way you did when you were in school?

One of the hardest things to deal with as a teacher is when parents don't support the teacher's instructional methods. When kids go home and hear, "That's ridiculous. Don't do it that way, do it this way!"  It totally undermines what we do in class all day. 

Instructional practices are changing and will continue to change. Education is a field driven by research. Scientists are learning more about how the brain works. And educators are always looking closely to determine what teaching practices are most beneficial for what kinds of learners. 

Maybe the way you learned worked great for you. But that doesn't mean it worked for everyone. Maybe the way you learned worked OK for you. But that doesn't mean other approaches wouldn't have been better. 

Either way, if you don't value the training, knowledge, expertise, and experience your child teacher has to offer it's an issue. When something is unfamiliar try not to immediately assume it's horrible. Consider the fact that teachers spend years learning how kids learn. So maybe the teacher knows something you don't know. 

This seems to have turned into a math post. LOL  Which is interested because lots of things have changed other than math. I think it's the math homework that makes it so obvious. 

Something to consider  is that students in the US are very behind their peers in other countries when it comes to math. As we up the standards for this generation to catch them up to other countries it's obviously going to seem much harder than we did growing up. But the average American parent's math skills are not what we're striving for with our current students. So yes, the math your child is bringing home is hard for you. It's probably also hard for the teacher. You and the teacher had much lower expectations growing than students do now.

Basically, what was once considering mastery level of basic math skills is now really just a basic understanding. When we were growing up that was fine. But that's why there are so few Americans in engineering, science, and other math related fields. The local university offered 30 grants to doctoral candidates for an engineering program. One native US citizen applied for one of the spots. None of the professors involved were born in the US. The American education system just hasn't been providing the strong math/science foundation needed for many fields. 

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Um yeah.  I sort of get that.  But, there are some methods being taught today that is difficult for children to master.   Case in point, how my kids school teaches division.  Some weird, carry it outside the box method.  My son doesn't get it.  I had a teacher and principle show me and I don't get it.  My daughter doesn't get it.  My sons fifth grade teacher had to teach the method three times to get a majority of the class to pass the section.  He actually doesn't like the method either, but he is mandated to teach that method.

Anyhow, I wouldn't say its terrible and I do tell my kids if "in class" that have to do it that way, then do it that way, but they don't have to do it that way outside of school.

JMHO

annelauer
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I do not expect for my children to learn everything the same way I did.  I do value the expertise of a teacher.  I would never tell our children that they way they were taught something is ridiculous.  I would, however, teach my child a different way if they just are not understanding the way they were taught and I don't know enough about it to teach that way properly.  I think learning several different ways to do the same thing helps a person to explore different facets of whatever it is they are studying.  When it comes down to it though, they need to learn it and if one way is just not working for them, I would show them another.  I would also send a note in her homework folder to let her teacher know what I had done and that she may need more help with the method being taught if it is important that she learns that way.  I am always more than happy to take time to help her with anything the way her teacher wants it taught if I can figure it out.  They did something with subtraction earlier this year and it wasn't how I learned it.  Fortunately my daughter did and showed me.  I would have had to have Googled it had she not understood.  She's still in first grade, so nothing has been terribly tricky thus far.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I go into my kids' schooling each year, assuming (I know) my kids' teacher/s, know how to teach more than I do. I may have hated one teacher, but, none have proved me wrong so far. My kids are learning. I hate the new math. So do all the teachers I've spoken with. But, it may benefit my dd, who isn't so great with math. My ds's 4th grade teacher loves me. She's told me many parents are upset she expects her students to be responsible for their homework. That she should make sure they bring it home, do it, don't forget it. Yikes! They are 9 and 10. IMO, they need to be responsible. I expect ds to be. I never remember my parents doing it. And my parents are VERY sheltering parents. Lol I adore both of them. :)

icn_mom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

i dont think i have an issue with the methods my daughters teachers use (or will use in the future), but i dont mind her asking for help and me showing her another way that may be easier for you to grab... one way is not right over the other.. just my opinion.

sassygoddess
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

But the way the schools are teaching math anymore is just plain stupid...

SlightlyPerfect
Some people are nothing more than examples of what _not_ to be; they're breathing testimonies of what mediocrity and worthlessness can produce.
Yesterday at 7:37 PM
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I really do love this!

But even though education is research-driven, it's not a science. You have parents who are stretched thin; their brains have their schemas and concretized their learning pathways. Plus, they are not experts in every subject.

I get where you're coming from because I am a teacher. I get your frustration. But if the kid is struggling and a parent shows him/her a new way to do something that makes more sense and is more intuitive for that kid, well, what can you do?

slightlyperfect

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM
5 moms liked this

Why do you think it's stupid?

Is it because you don't understand it? I don't get it either but I was taught the "old" way, the "very old" way, so it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, ya know.

This statement is exactly the attitude that makes it difficult for teachers in the classroom.

Quoting sassygoddess:

~~CINDY

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I don't tell them the way they learn is stupid but I do tell the kids I do not know how to do it that way so I show them the way I was taught. If they don't understand it, I tell them I need their book home to learn how they are supposed to do it.  Most days they do not bring the books home.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I'm a special ed teacher in our district.  Our district uses Everyday Math.  It is stupid.  There's a video I saw online (can't remember where) that talked about how its a great program if you don't want your child to master the skills.  The lattice multiplication is ridiculous.  My son learned it in elementary school and had no clue how to multiply the regular way until I made him learn.  Many schools revert to the old methods once you're past 5th or 6th grade and there'are kids who have no clue what to do.  

ETA: I don't tell my kids its stupid but I do tell them that other teachers when they're at higher levels may not do it the same way and they need to know the traditional way as well.  

Quoting Cindy18:

Why do you think it's stupid?

Is it because you don't understand it? I don't get it either but I was taught the "old" way, the "very old" way, so it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, ya know.

This statement is exactly the attitude that makes it difficult for teachers in the classroom.

Quoting sassygoddess:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
4 moms liked this
I have no problem with new methods of teaching. I only have an issue when I'm not provided with anything to help me help him. For example, math homework. It is taught different and that's fine. But I can't help my child at home when I don't know how the method works or even what its called. Someone posted that multiplication fuckery yesterday and I can't figure out how it works. Knowing at least what it is called would be helpful. Im more than happy to do the research but I need something to work with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)