Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

keeping ds (5 yo) home from teeball...

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 11 Replies

i hate that we paid money to play and we're missing games, but he was throwing a huge fit, refusing to put on socks.... i even gave him a chance to apologize but instead he said "delete it and i'll apologize" (the text).  hopefully he calms down soon haha

pregnancy due date

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megs2boys
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

If my son was throwing a tantrum before a game we made him go anyways to support his team. So some days he sat on the sidelines and threw his fit, but most of the time once he got there he'd decide that he wanted to play after all.

ohmandy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

he WANTS to go, he just didnt want to put on his socks.  screaming and yelling and all.  im not always good at following through, but this time i had to, he was being obviously defiant.

Quoting megs2boys:

If my son was throwing a tantrum before a game we made him go anyways to support his team. So some days he sat on the sidelines and threw his fit, but most of the time once he got there he'd decide that he wanted to play after all.

megs2boys
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

What if you took him to Tball but made him sit on the bleachers until he put his socks on? I have a very defiant 5 year old so i totally empathize! 

Quoting ohmandy:

he WANTS to go, he just didnt want to put on his socks.  screaming and yelling and all.  im not always good at following through, but this time i had to, he was being obviously defiant.

Quoting megs2boys:

ohmandy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

well, the game has started at this point, im really hoping that this will be the "straw that broke the 5 y/o's defiance" haha.  and that this is one of our last big (stupid) battles haha

Quoting megs2boys:

What if you took him to Tball but made him sit on the bleachers until he put his socks on? I have a very defiant 5 year old so i totally empathize! 

Quoting ohmandy:

Quoting megs2boys:

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I agree that there needed to be some sort of punishment and you dont want to reward a tantrum, however, the problem with having them miss sports games/practices is that his team depends on him.  Even at that age.  So instead of just punishing the child, you're also creating a hardship on the coach and teammates.

Audreesmommy757
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

we just got back from our game and half our team was missing....

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

make him go and watch.... He can't play or participate in any way. 

Quoting ohmandy:

Quoting megs2boys:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

momoffive07
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

pick your battles  thats all i can say. Its your son, don't worry what other say or how they feel.

TexTornado
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Sorry, I'm not following.  What does "delete it & I"ll apologize".  What does a 5 year old have to do with a text? 

But as far as the game, 5 year olds aren't as invested in games & practice as we are, so it's probably not really a huge punishment to him.  If you had taken him but made him sit on the bench and not play, that would have been more of a punishment.  They love play and interaction.  Sitting home won't bother him much, but being around the play and not being able to, is punishment to a 5 year old.  Just phases of development. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I think yoy made tge right decision. Sure the team is important but obedience is more important!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)