Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Using a disability to get special treatment.... (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 230 Replies
7 moms liked this

I will preface this with the pointing out that I have a son withautism.... That will make sense as this goes. 

I was at Red Lobster late night. 2/$25 special on a Friday night at 6:00pm. As you can imagine, super busy with a 20 minute wait for a table. 

A family came in, appeared to be grandma, grandpa, mom and daughter. Grandma goes up the hostess to put their name in and asks if there is any way they can move to the top of the list because her granddaughter has a developmental disability and won't be able to handle waiting too long. She goes on to add that they have been in the car driving for 2 hours and the GD is hungry and impatient already so anything that can be done to move them to the top of the list would be great. The young hostess says that there are at least 10 people a head of them but she will do what she can. 

Now I would NEVER have done that!! Yes, families with children with disabilities can go to whatever restaurant they want but if you have an already cranky, hungry child, why on earth would you go to a restaurant that has a wait to be seated. Anyone knows that 6pm on a Friday night at a semi upscale restaurant (OK, at least a date night restaurant) you will have a wait. It almost felt like they used the little girl's disability to get to the head of the line. 

What do you think???

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM
39 moms liked this
I agree to a point. Asking if the hostess can arrange some crackers or cup of water is totally ok. I would do that with anyone. But taking a child who is prone to meltdowns to a very busy restaraunt with a wait and trying to get everyone else to save the day is not ok.
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I was so unsure how to feel about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this was out of line.

Quoting JulesFairy:

I agree to a point. Asking if the hostess can arrange some crackers or cup of water is totally ok. I would do that with anyone. But taking a child who is prone to meltdowns to a very busy restaraunt with a wait and trying to get everyone else to save the day is not ok.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM
4 moms liked this

My oldest is also on the autism spectrum. I wouldn't do that. We'd be heading to somewhere very kid friendly or a drive thru.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. They did not have to go to such a busy restaurant. If you want to go to Red Lobster with the granddaughter take her there for lunch or some other less busy time.

Quoting SahmTam:

My oldest is also on the autism spectrum. I wouldn't do that. We'd be heading to somewhere very kid friendly or a drive thru.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Totally out of line.

If you know your child has a disability you need to plan in order to meet her needs.  They could have gone somewhere else. 

What did the restaurant do?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I just reread carefully and see you answered my question in the OP. 

I really hope she didn't move them up at all and just said that make him happy. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Totally inappropriate IMO and I have a child with aspergers and severe anxiety.  He often has meltdowns when a place is too crowded and loud.  Being hungry makes his ability to cope decrease, so this would be a recipe for disaster and I wouldn't go to that restaurant unless absolutely necessary.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I'm really not sure what happened. I was seated first. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM
6 moms liked this

Because you told them about your son's disability I assume? LOL

Quoting Cindy18:

I'm really not sure what happened. I was seated first. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Rosebud27aj
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Both of my boys are on the spectrum. My youngest does not do well with waiting or crowds...we would have went somewhere else that's kid friendly and hope it won't be a long wait...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN