Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Using a disability to get special treatment.... (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I will preface this with the pointing out that I have a son withautism.... That will make sense as this goes. 

I was at Red Lobster late night. 2/$25 special on a Friday night at 6:00pm. As you can imagine, super busy with a 20 minute wait for a table. 

A family came in, appeared to be grandma, grandpa, mom and daughter. Grandma goes up the hostess to put their name in and asks if there is any way they can move to the top of the list because her granddaughter has a developmental disability and won't be able to handle waiting too long. She goes on to add that they have been in the car driving for 2 hours and the GD is hungry and impatient already so anything that can be done to move them to the top of the list would be great. The young hostess says that there are at least 10 people a head of them but she will do what she can. 

Now I would NEVER have done that!! Yes, families with children with disabilities can go to whatever restaurant they want but if you have an already cranky, hungry child, why on earth would you go to a restaurant that has a wait to be seated. Anyone knows that 6pm on a Friday night at a semi upscale restaurant (OK, at least a date night restaurant) you will have a wait. It almost felt like they used the little girl's disability to get to the head of the line. 

What do you think???

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

No kids allowed!!! 

2/$25 baby! Only me and my SO.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Because you told them about your son's disability I assume? LOL

Quoting Cindy18:

I'm really not sure what happened. I was seated first. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I just reread carefully and see you answered my question in the OP. 

I really hope she didn't move them up at all and just said that make him happy. 

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Totally out of line.  I agree with someone else that said if they had asked for some crackers and water to hold her over until they got a table because of the long drive (and explained why they were asking), I think that would have been appropriate.  But otherwise no.  I also give kudos to the restaurant for saying no.  

reche1978
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

that would piss me off I hope the hostess didnt bump them on the list

k1kelley
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM

People do that everywhere, not just restaurants. When my DS was 7-8 he had to wear a scottish rite brace to realign his hips. I was shocked to learn that at theme parks he could have been given a special pass to get to the head of the line at the rides. I thought that was insane.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM
6 moms liked this

Passes that are offered are one thing. That wouldn't upset me.

Quoting k1kelley:

People do that everywhere, not just restaurants. When my DS was 7-8 he had to wear a scottish rite brace to realign his hips. I was shocked to learn that at theme parks he could have been given a special pass to get to the head of the line at the rides. I thought that was insane.

honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

This would have ticked me off, especially if I would have been standing there waiting already with my eccentric 5 year old his is probaby acting like he has a fire in his butt already. I hate it when people do that.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I agree asking to move to the front of the line is totally inappropriate.

Asking for a crackers or a piece of fruit or something..OK.
SaraBethKY
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Wow...the last time I was at Red Lobster someone did the same thing! They had an elderly family member in a wheelchair (maybe looked to have a mental disability also), and they were asking if they could be put at the top because she couldn't handle the long wait. Just like the situation you described, this was 6ish on a Friday night. The hostess and manager politely told them there wasn't anything they could do and the family caused a HUGE scene and stormed out. 

texassahm
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I will preface this by saying I am a special education teacher :)  I think that a lot of grandparents do things differently than the parents do.  I believe that most parents of children with disabilities of any kind, understand that their children have to learn to wait, just like every other person.  It's a life-skill that we teach in the classroom and most parents teach at home.  Grandparents, on the other hand, don't always understand why parents and teachers do the things they do, so they often do what's easiest for THEM, not what's best for the grandchild.

I wouldn't put much thought into it.  They probably put even less thought into it than you already have. :)  Thanks for all you do for your boy - I know being a parent of a child with autism can be go back and forth between extremely rewarding and tiring.  (((HUGS))) to you and your son. 

Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

No scene that I saw. I was seated before them. The little girl was very good BTW.

Quoting SaraBethKY:

Wow...the last time I was at Red Lobster someone did the same thing! They had an elderly family member in a wheelchair (maybe looked to have a mental disability also), and they were asking if they could be put at the top because she couldn't handle the long wait. Just like the situation you described, this was 6ish on a Friday night. The hostess and manager politely told them there wasn't anything they could do and the family caused a HUGE scene and stormed out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)