Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Using a disability to get special treatment.... (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I will preface this with the pointing out that I have a son withautism.... That will make sense as this goes. 

I was at Red Lobster late night. 2/$25 special on a Friday night at 6:00pm. As you can imagine, super busy with a 20 minute wait for a table. 

A family came in, appeared to be grandma, grandpa, mom and daughter. Grandma goes up the hostess to put their name in and asks if there is any way they can move to the top of the list because her granddaughter has a developmental disability and won't be able to handle waiting too long. She goes on to add that they have been in the car driving for 2 hours and the GD is hungry and impatient already so anything that can be done to move them to the top of the list would be great. The young hostess says that there are at least 10 people a head of them but she will do what she can. 

Now I would NEVER have done that!! Yes, families with children with disabilities can go to whatever restaurant they want but if you have an already cranky, hungry child, why on earth would you go to a restaurant that has a wait to be seated. Anyone knows that 6pm on a Friday night at a semi upscale restaurant (OK, at least a date night restaurant) you will have a wait. It almost felt like they used the little girl's disability to get to the head of the line. 

What do you think???

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Not much thought into it really. Just thought that it would be an interesting topic.

Thank you for your kind words. My son is graduating high school with a full dipolma next month!!! I'm sooooooooooo proud.

Quoting texassahm:

I will preface this by saying I am a special education teacher :)  I think that a lot of grandparents do things differently than the parents do.  I believe that most parents of children with disabilities of any kind, understand that their children have to learn to wait, just like every other person.  It's a life-skill that we teach in the classroom and most parents teach at home.  Grandparents, on the other hand, don't always understand why parents and teachers do the things they do, so they often do what's easiest for THEM, not what's best for the grandchild.

I wouldn't put much thought into it.  They probably put even less thought into it than you already have. :)  Thanks for all you do for your boy - I know being a parent of a child with autism can be go back and forth between extremely rewarding and tiring.  (((HUGS))) to you and your son. 

ChristianHerbal
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly!

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Last night we decided to go out to eat. I knew that both DD and I had long days, Dh was hungry, and we had to wake up early the next day so we went to a restaurant that I knew would not be on a wait. I knew before going out to eat that my 6 year old, that does not have developmental delays, could not handle waiting a half hour before eating and took that into consideration when choosing where to eat. I would think if anyone knew their child could not handle waiting for a table at a restaurant, would chose a restaurant that did not have a wait, eat at home, do take out, drive through, or order a pizza. Now I find it perfectly acceptable to ask to be seated in a booth because it is easier on your child, or ask for the kids' food to come out as soon as it is ready, but I think it is insane to think it is okay to walk into a busy restaurant on a Friday night and be seated right away because your child has a hard time waiting. Most children have a hard time waiting.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

It sounds like they were using the child's disability to not have to wait. I work with adults with disabilities and I always pick restaurants that tend to have shorter wait times and leave early to ensure they eat at their normal time. Meltdowns can happen for any number of reasons and it's our (family or workers) respoonsibility to do everything we can to avoid problems).

texassahm
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great!  Congratulations!  How exciting :)

Quoting Cindy18:

Not much thought into it really. Just thought that it would be an interesting topic.

Thank you for your kind words. My son is graduating high school with a full dipolma next month!!! I'm sooooooooooo proud.

Quoting texassahm:

I will preface this by saying I am a special education teacher :)  I think that a lot of grandparents do things differently than the parents do.  I believe that most parents of children with disabilities of any kind, understand that their children have to learn to wait, just like every other person.  It's a life-skill that we teach in the classroom and most parents teach at home.  Grandparents, on the other hand, don't always understand why parents and teachers do the things they do, so they often do what's easiest for THEM, not what's best for the grandchild.

I wouldn't put much thought into it.  They probably put even less thought into it than you already have. :)  Thanks for all you do for your boy - I know being a parent of a child with autism can be go back and forth between extremely rewarding and tiring.  (((HUGS))) to you and your son. 

janitablue
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Congratulation to your son graduate with a full diploma!!!  I agreed with texassahm I think some older adults have lack of patience.................

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting texassahm:

sissy502
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

In a car for 2 hours & they took a hungry cranky child to Red Lobster?

What the heck is wrong with people?

Not only is it rude but selfish as well.

If my kids have been in a car for 2 hours you bettcha we are hitting Burger King with a playplace!!!

yanamom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That is just plain rude. They know gd has problems, so they should plan around her, not force everyone else to suffer because of her. Lack of planning and consideration by them should not make it my problem!

Personally, I am to the point where if I had heard that, I would have made some comment loud enough for them to hear me, about me being handicapped.  And that if they were going to put someone at the top of the list because they are "special", that  they had better put me before them on the list because I was there first and I am "special" too!  I'd let them know that I get really, really cranky when my knee hurts so bad that I can hardly walk!  Then I would have asked those around us if they had a "special" reason that they should be put at the top of the list...

I also would have made a comment about how rude they were... But that is just me, and 20 years ago, I wouldn't have done any of that!

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Wow and I felt bad asking the tee ball coaches to let my guy with spd sit just outside of the dugout instead of in it.
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think chain restaurants should take reservations.  Give you 10 min max to make your reservation and then give the table to someone else.  It would make the dining experience so much easier for the restaurant and the patrons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)