Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Using a disability to get special treatment.... (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I will preface this with the pointing out that I have a son withautism.... That will make sense as this goes. 

I was at Red Lobster late night. 2/$25 special on a Friday night at 6:00pm. As you can imagine, super busy with a 20 minute wait for a table. 

A family came in, appeared to be grandma, grandpa, mom and daughter. Grandma goes up the hostess to put their name in and asks if there is any way they can move to the top of the list because her granddaughter has a developmental disability and won't be able to handle waiting too long. She goes on to add that they have been in the car driving for 2 hours and the GD is hungry and impatient already so anything that can be done to move them to the top of the list would be great. The young hostess says that there are at least 10 people a head of them but she will do what she can. 

Now I would NEVER have done that!! Yes, families with children with disabilities can go to whatever restaurant they want but if you have an already cranky, hungry child, why on earth would you go to a restaurant that has a wait to be seated. Anyone knows that 6pm on a Friday night at a semi upscale restaurant (OK, at least a date night restaurant) you will have a wait. It almost felt like they used the little girl's disability to get to the head of the line. 

What do you think???

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (221-230):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Let me get this straight.  If you have your family in the SAME neighborhood, then you are considered a hillbilly!?  That might be the MOST UNEDUCATED response that I have seen in a while!  Those that have a "hard" life as you so aptly put it, do NOT have the monetary means to be eating at Red Lobster.  You are correct, Red Lobster is NOT upscale, but it certainly isn't fast food.

Quoting supercarp:

Had you driven 2 hours to get there? That IS an important consideration. Some people have company from out of town. I realize that hillbillys and others have all their family in one neighborhood, but try to expand your mind.

Worry about your own problems and don't try to make life harder for others who already have a hard life.

Red Lobster is not upscale in any way, semi or otherwise.

supercarp
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Hard life does not necessarily mean monetarily hard.

Quoting mjande4:

Let me get this straight.  If you have your family in the SAME neighborhood, then you are considered a hillbilly!?  That might be the MOST UNEDUCATED response that I have seen in a while!  Those that have a "hard" life as you so aptly put it, do NOT have the monetary means to be eating at Red Lobster.  You are correct, Red Lobster is NOT upscale, but it certainly isn't fast food.

Quoting supercarp:

Had you driven 2 hours to get there? That IS an important consideration. Some people have company from out of town. I realize that hillbillys and others have all their family in one neighborhood, but try to expand your mind.

Worry about your own problems and don't try to make life harder for others who already have a hard life.

Red Lobster is not upscale in any way, semi or otherwise.

crissysworld
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
That was way out of line. They should have taken some snacks to tide her over and a drink.
Gramto8
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM

In any case, they could have stopped somewhere else an hour earlier.  Not only would the child have been less tired and hungry,  the wait time would have been less.  Sounds like grandma & grandpa were thinking more about themselves!  BTW, I also have a severely handicapped grandson, and we take that into consideration whenever we go anywhere!

Quoting Cindy18:

I don't think they drove 2 hours for this restaurant. It was my impression that they had been driving home from somewhere or something.

We are in a very urban area and can't imagine 2 hours in any direction where this Red Lobster was the only one along the way.

Quoting paknari:

I agree. They could've made a reservation. If I was driving 2 hours i would be sure to have one.

Gramto8
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

It's also too ridiculous to waste a comment on. (oops, I just did)  if she had bothered to read the posts she would see that about half of us have " REAL" disabled kids or grand kids!

Quoting Batmansmamma:

"real" disabled? That's very offensive.

Quoting LadyBast:

My child is disabled and has to eat at certain times and so do I b/c of meds so I would go to a place that I COULD eat their food and want to get in a schedule for a disabled child is very important and for me b/c I have to eat or I will be sick..

So yep I would do it you have to be in a situation to understand and I guess NONE of you have disabled children like I do who has seizures and a lot more so do not act like you know when you oobviously have no clue what it is like to have a REAL disabled child that needs 24/7!

Gramto8
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If you go to a popular restaurant at the busiest time of the week, you think it's OK to waltz in and demand special treatment?  Get real lady.  There are many of us with children or grandchildren with special needs and we plan ahead!  We're talking about a restaurant here not ER Triage!

Quoting AmosFarkle:

Oh, come on now.  Have a heart.  Have a little sympathy.  I'd easily let them go ahead.  So your child is autistic.  You could ask for the same consideration.  Don't stay up on some high horse and judge.  You've probably been in the same situation.  Nice, normal people will give some leeway.  Bet your next rant will be about how your child didn't get better treatment.  Sorry, mama, but you're not being realistic.  Nobody "wants" extra consideration, but there are times when it doesn't hurt to ask.  You might not know I'm battling spinal disease and arthritis, and if I need to sit then by gosh I NEED IT.  I try to hide it as much as possible, but there comes a time when you can't.

Lighten up.  Count your blessings.  And stop interfering in other people's hardships, unless you're there to help.

kkbush
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I don't no a lot about children with disabilities but at that time of day after a two hour car ride and the child is already hungry I would take any child to a resturant like that. A lot of children disability or not wouldn't be able to handle that.
vamomlds
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM

We walked into a restraunt where we were told an hour and something to get a table.  We turned around and went to pizza hut accross street where there was no wait.

mrs_turner2006
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I agree with you. I'm sure if there was a Red Lobster, there would be a more suitable restaurant for a loud, cranky kid. Even a fast food restaurant.
lizard3731
by on May. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I think they should have gone to a fast food restaurant if they were in such a hurry. It's rude and inconsiderate to ask to be moved to the front of the line.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN