Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Using a disability to get special treatment.... (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I will preface this with the pointing out that I have a son withautism.... That will make sense as this goes. 

I was at Red Lobster late night. 2/$25 special on a Friday night at 6:00pm. As you can imagine, super busy with a 20 minute wait for a table. 

A family came in, appeared to be grandma, grandpa, mom and daughter. Grandma goes up the hostess to put their name in and asks if there is any way they can move to the top of the list because her granddaughter has a developmental disability and won't be able to handle waiting too long. She goes on to add that they have been in the car driving for 2 hours and the GD is hungry and impatient already so anything that can be done to move them to the top of the list would be great. The young hostess says that there are at least 10 people a head of them but she will do what she can. 

Now I would NEVER have done that!! Yes, families with children with disabilities can go to whatever restaurant they want but if you have an already cranky, hungry child, why on earth would you go to a restaurant that has a wait to be seated. Anyone knows that 6pm on a Friday night at a semi upscale restaurant (OK, at least a date night restaurant) you will have a wait. It almost felt like they used the little girl's disability to get to the head of the line. 

What do you think???

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Wow, how rude.  I have never ever once thought about using my child's disability to get things quicker. That's just over the top wrong, IMO. My child will learn to wait patiently just like any one else would. It's a part of life.

theresa1966
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I NEVER DID IT FOR MY SON. ONE TIME I DID IT FOR MY FATHER. HIS BLOOD SUGAR DROPPED SO BAD IT SCARED ME. HIS MEETER SAID THEY COULDN'T READ IT. SO HIS BLOOD SUGAR WAS BELOW 50. OLIVE GARDEN WAS SO GOOD FOR MY FATHER AND I. THEY WENT AND GOT HIM A GLASS OF ORANGE JUICE TO HELP BRING HIS SUGAR UP. I NEVER SEEN HIM WITH HIS BLOOD SUGARS LOW. I TOOK HIM TO DOCTORS APPOINTMENTS THAT DAY BECAUSE MY MOTHER HAD OTHER THINGS TO DO THAT DAY.

gma12.1
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I have a child with delays, and some other issues. I wouldn't use her to get to the front of the line that is just rude and selfish. If it looked like she couldn't wait then I would go to the hostess tell her to take our name from the waiting list and we would leave. 

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM
From what im reading in your post thats different though. You got some juice maybe some bread or crackers and continued to wait. And you asked AFTER it was an incident and needed to be addressed. You didnt use his condition to try and skip the line.

Quoting theresa1966:

I NEVER DID IT FOR MY SON. ONE TIME I DID IT FOR MY FATHER. HIS BLOOD SUGAR DROPPED SO BAD IT SCARED ME. HIS MEETER SAID THEY COULDN'T READ IT. SO HIS BLOOD SUGAR WAS BELOW 50. OLIVE GARDEN WAS SO GOOD FOR MY FATHER AND I. THEY WENT AND GOT HIM A GLASS OF ORANGE JUICE TO HELP BRING HIS SUGAR UP. I NEVER SEEN HIM WITH HIS BLOOD SUGARS LOW. I TOOK HIM TO DOCTORS APPOINTMENTS THAT DAY BECAUSE MY MOTHER HAD OTHER THINGS TO DO THAT DAY.

theresa1966
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My son has Autism and I never asked to be pushed a head of the line. But one time I asked to my dad due to blood sugar meaning they got a glass a juice. So I give them a thumbs up for fast thinking for people who have blood sugar problems.

good

jewel80
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I think asking for biscuits and drink, maybe pen and paper to color or if they could try tof ind a quiet place to wait. I could even see if they asked to have a table near the potty or away from the bar, but then wait not be bumped up. What about my son who has autism but i didnt say anything to the wait staff, they get bumped in front of me when my son is freaking out, no way! I believe in making the kid comfortable and understanding meltdowns but not being bumped ahead.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I agree.  I would have gone somewhere else, or asked about maybe a breadstick or something for my gd to hold her over until they could get a seat. 

I don't think that would be too wrong. 

CafeMom Tickers
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Asking for something to tide someone over is not wrong at all.

Quoting Basherte:

I agree.  I would have gone somewhere else, or asked about maybe a breadstick or something for my gd to hold her over until they could get a seat. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Other than that. I wouldn't ask for special treatment. 

My son doesn't like seafood so that rest wouldn't be a place I would be able to go with him. (I can make lobster at home anyway) I know the feeling of having to wait for food and my son getting upset because he's hungry and his tummy is hurting.  I tend to bring snack food along with us when we go out, that way my son is taken care of. It won't fill him up, but it will get rid of the hunger pains until we can get him something better. There are times, though when he doesn't want snack food. He wants "real" food. 

"real" food is meal type food.

Quoting Cindy18:

Asking for something to tide someone over is not wrong at all.

Quoting Basherte:

CafeMom Tickers
StoneColdKiller
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I have a autistic/adhd son. I wouldnt have done this I would of just left my husband in side to wait while I walked outside with my son.

but i did uses those diability passes at theme parks however its still a wait but not a 3 hour wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN