Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Using a disability to get special treatment.... (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I will preface this with the pointing out that I have a son withautism.... That will make sense as this goes. 

I was at Red Lobster late night. 2/$25 special on a Friday night at 6:00pm. As you can imagine, super busy with a 20 minute wait for a table. 

A family came in, appeared to be grandma, grandpa, mom and daughter. Grandma goes up the hostess to put their name in and asks if there is any way they can move to the top of the list because her granddaughter has a developmental disability and won't be able to handle waiting too long. She goes on to add that they have been in the car driving for 2 hours and the GD is hungry and impatient already so anything that can be done to move them to the top of the list would be great. The young hostess says that there are at least 10 people a head of them but she will do what she can. 

Now I would NEVER have done that!! Yes, families with children with disabilities can go to whatever restaurant they want but if you have an already cranky, hungry child, why on earth would you go to a restaurant that has a wait to be seated. Anyone knows that 6pm on a Friday night at a semi upscale restaurant (OK, at least a date night restaurant) you will have a wait. It almost felt like they used the little girl's disability to get to the head of the line. 

What do you think???

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
paknari
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I agree. They could've made a reservation. If I was driving 2 hours i would be sure to have one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I don't think they drove 2 hours for this restaurant. It was my impression that they had been driving home from somewhere or something.

We are in a very urban area and can't imagine 2 hours in any direction where this Red Lobster was the only one along the way.

Quoting paknari:

I agree. They could've made a reservation. If I was driving 2 hours i would be sure to have one.

But_Mommie
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is also on the spectrum and I would NEVER do that.  I would prepare him for the wait.  Ask for some crackers or pack a snack and have his gameboy or ipod on hand w/ his noise reducing head phones.  I do not expect other people to make extrodenary acomodations for my child when there are things I can do MYSELF to prevent a problem.

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I find it deplorable. If they know their child has this issue, they should have brought snacks along with them.  There was a list of people ahead of them and there is no reason that they should have been able to jump the line. If the child is going to meltdown because of being hungry, take her out for fast food.

Ms_mom_81
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

They should have called in advance.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My children have no disabilities and I wouldn't take them to a crowded, long wait restaurant when they are starving & cranky after driving 2 hours.

HopesNDreams
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I think this had more to do with grandma's inability to wait with the special needs child than it did the special needs child.
bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I say that's not fair to other customers, if she was so hungry, they should have gone somewhere else that the wait wasn't as long.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

As a former hostess, I would have said "OK, I'll see what I can do."  And proceeded to not do a darn thing.  It is a complicated process seating tables!  Most people don't seem to understand, for the most part, large parties can only have certain tables/locations or else it becomes a hazard, like blocking exits or pathways.  So I could end up seating 10 groups of 2 before I can seat 1 group of 8.  People used to get so pissed, wondering why we didnt' just pile up all the small tables?  Well, we are not allowed to!  You have to have use of certain pathways to fire exits.  Get over it.

I have PTSD, and crowds do make me nervous.  We work around that by either dining early or dining late to avoid the rush.  We'll have a late afternoon snack, then eat dinner at 7 or 8.  Or we'll eat dinner at 4, then have a snack later.  I know people with disabilities want to go out sometimes, but with a little planning it is far more easily done.  It sounds like they set their grandchild up for failure on this one, and that is never fair!

mstricey
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Um yea I guess I do ask for special treatment. I order ds's food at restaurants before we are seated or as soon as we sit before I even order our drinks. I also get line jumpers at amusement park because standing in a line for and hour is recipe for a disaster. But it isn't like you just go to the front of the line. You go and they tell you what time to come back. So you're still waiting an hour, just not standing in one spot. If there is a long wait at a Dr office I sign in and ask that they call my cell when it's our time if I'm not in the waiting room. We step out a lot if he is really antsy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)