Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

summer activity for elementary kids

Posted by   + Show Post

What kids usually do during summer months?  Do they do any workbooks/summer homework?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
minimo77
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I just have a binder of paper that I write out math questions for dd, ones that she did this year, plus some that are a bit harder, same with ds. As well as having them read. Besides that, they will be doing a tae kwon do camp, swim lessons, going to the beach, camping, walks, ice cream, pool, sprinklers, just whatever ends up happening that day.

susieQ680
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

yes I haveaworkbook to do sometimes

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I open the back door and send my boys outside to run and play in the back yard.  They do read pretty much daily, but that is their decision.  I'm not a fan of having kids sit in front of workbooks and doing homework when they can be outside learning and having fun.

MommyBoha
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Workbooks, they have to keep a journal and read daily. They will also still be in karate and gymnastics. My ILs have a pool and we live near the beach. Add in 2 vacations and we stay busy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetr0se
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I think the workbooks are a good idea and also I'm going to the library so he can participate in the reading programs and also go to the ymca so he can burn energy on the hot days!

momoffive07
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

we enjoy our summer. We do lots of traveling. we go to educational places. the kids do the summer reading program at the library. I do give them time off to relax!!!!

turning into globe

Bekki
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

We live at the beach so we are beaching it all summer. We do read and work on keeping up skills, but mostly I try to find real life examples to brush up skills: having ds describe things to me, read letters and numbers on signs, add shells, etc, count things, etc. ( He is 5). As a teacher, I would say read, read, read !!!

TroyboysMom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Ds does some work to retain, but not work books. He participates in a few camps (this year LEGO Robotics, a chemistry camp, an outdoors camp, and an outdoor rocks and minerals camp [We just finalized plans yesterday, summer is now packed!]), and he keeps up using different programs his school offers. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We usually do the summer reading program at the library. If we are camping in a National Park, the kids do the Jr. Ranger Program and learn about the park/nature while earning a cute little rager badge.

mommytoeandb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I work PT and my kids will be going to the parks and rec program.  They do a field trip once a week.  I do try to work on our Elementary Spanish words.  Both kids are ahead in math and reading, so we tend to research things they want to learn about for fun (ex:  DD, age 9, wants to learn how to cross-breed plants).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)