Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is the grading scale where your child goes to school??

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 46 Replies

Personally, I am a bit appalled at the fact that it is sooo low where my Sson goes to school. He is a very intelligent child, but what I had to work very hard when I was in school to get very good grades, it seems like he doesn't.. Hmm.. 

My grading scale: His grading scale: 

A 94-100 A: 92-100

B 87-93 B: 82-91

C 77-86 C: 70-81

D 69-76 D: 61-69

F 68- under F: 60- under

What do you parents think of them lowering the standards now days for kids??

I was actually appalled the other day when he got a 72% on a test, when I was in school that was almost failing as you can see on the right.. He was like, "no big deal, the teacher said that was a 'c' ". I had to look it up. I really did not know that the grading scale was soo low now days.. :(

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

When I went school a C was all the way to 70%, not that I got that low often.  But, I'm not sure in elementary school because they are not on an A-F scale.  They scores the kids by 1, 2, 3, 4.  1 being below standard and 4 being above standard.

Weird since they revert back to the A-F scale in middle school.  So, I don't understand why they do it in the first place.  When my son got into middle school, he was confused, because he didn't know what letter grades were.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
4 moms liked this

A = 90-100

B = 80-89

C = 70-79

D = 60-69

F = 59 and below

It was the same when I was in school.

ETA: I should add that this is the scale for my oldest DD in high school. For my elementary kids the scale is basically the same, but the grades are O (outstanding), E (excellent), S (satisfactory), N (needs improvement), and P (poor). Just like HS letter grades, they can have a (+) or (-) as well.

ETA2: My 9yo just informed me that I was incorrect. There is no P; it's U for unsatisfactory. So O, E, S, N, U.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

Ryansmom2004
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

This is probably part of the "No kids left behind" bullcrap. They are more concerned with not hurting a child's feelings so instead they just push mediocre work through and wonder why so many adults are struggling in the real world.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I doubt it.  This particular grading scale has existed as far back as I can recall and I started school in the 70's.  The only time it changed was in college and the scale was tighter.

Quoting Ryansmom2004:

This is probably part of the "No kids left behind" bullcrap. They are more concerned with not hurting a child's feelings so instead they just push mediocre work through and wonder why so many adults are struggling in the real world.

qkforever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

That is funny you just posted this.  My son had a book report sent home and he got a C on it. He got 22/27.  When I figured his grade he should have got a B-.  I was a little surprised at that.  Which now makes me curious what her grading scale is.  I am not complaining but just curious.

I can't say for most schools, I work in a high school and teachers get called in if there are too many F's in their classes. On teacher I worked with ended up giving the students 20 mins in class so that they would finish their homework because they wouldn't do it at home which lowered their grade.  She even made homework worth more points because the students were not studying for tests.    We have teachers that push students and they start to excel but then a parent calls,  complains and the teacher is told not to push them too hard.  It is all about numbers where I work and we do such a great injustice to our students.  It is very frustrating.  

yanamom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Your grading scale is high for a public school. Private schools tend to have scales more like yours. Our school doesn't have a D grade, which I think is kinda weird. You make C's or better or you are failing.

90-100 = A

80-89 = B

70-79 = C

69 or less is Failing

headingsouth13
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM

not in school yet but my scale when i was in school was the same as yours. from k through 12

ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM
When I was a kid it was
A: 90-100%
B: 80-90%
C: 70-80%
D: 60-70%
F: 59 and below

My dd is the same number wise but she is in elementary school and the do P+ (Proficient+), P (Proficient), PP (Partially Proficient), M (Marginal), U (unsatisfactory)
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I grew up with this scale as well over 20 years ago.  DD right now is in the numbers 1-4 for grading which she is right on grade level for most things.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

When I was a kid it was
A: 90-100%
B: 80-90%
C: 70-80%
D: 60-70%
F: 59 and below

My dd is the same number wise but she is in elementary school and the do P+ (Proficient+), P (Proficient), PP (Partially Proficient), M (Marginal), U (unsatisfactory)

CarmenRosalina
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

We use a 10 point grading scale where I am from.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)