Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do the other parents drive in front of YOUR elementary school?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 54 Replies

I really hope that the parents in my town are just idiots.

Our elementary school recently went through some construction; before it was finished, the parents would constantly block the one-way street in front of the school when picking their kids up. Stalled parking(stopping your call in the middle of the street, usually to talk to someone who is parked or stalled as well) is really common here. It is one thing when someone does it on a deserted street (it is still ignorant, but at least it isn't backing up traffic), but to do it in front of a school that has just let out?? ARGH!!!!!

Anyway, after the construction was completed and a roundabout driveway was put in, I thought it would change the way people drive...um, no. At the beginning of school, the point is to drive up, drop your kid off, and leave. Several parents will drive up, PARK, go inside with their kid, so that the rest of us get backed up and either have to wait until that moronic parent comes back out, or try to maneuver around the parked vehicle.

One that happened several months ago infuriated me to no end. A grandma was there to pick up the granddaughter; she parked her car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, walked over to the school and was gone for a good 10 minutes. Who does that??

Another instance just happened the other day; I was there to drop my girls off at school. A truck was stopped on the curb of the roundabout, and other vehicles got in the other lane to pass it and go around. Once car was stopped beside the truck TO TALK TO THE TRUCK'S DRIVER; I am not shy, I honked so they would get out of the way.

I expect parents to be good role models for their children; I realize that isn't always the case, but it seems to me that most of the parents at my girls' school think that they are the most important and consideration for others isn't necessary.

What is it like at YOUR school??

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
The same. I think it's the same everywhere unless they have teachers monitoring traffic, then it's just as bad, but in a different way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calusari
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to wonder why we don't have someone monitoring traffic at our school; it is not a small town, and they can't be unaware of the nightmare in front of the school everyday.

AJsMom81507
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM

we have people monitoring the drop off and pick up... if you are spoken to twice, you will be asked to move to the other end of the building.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

They drive crazy here as well.  Parents aren't supposed to pull into the roundabout in front of the school.  Most of our kids take a bus as it's pretty spread out.  Those who are dropped off are supposed to come in the long straight driveway and drop their child before pulling into the roundabout because that's where the buses pull in.  After the big yellow buses come through, my students' vans pull in.  Many parents seem to think that if the white vans with XXXX Bus Company on the side and a school bus sign on top with flashing lights can pull in, so can they.  They think nothing of trying to whip around our buses and get pissed off when a staff member will step out and tell them they have to stop.  I had a parent tell me that the white vans aren't real school buses.  Um, yes they are, complete with real children who have a higher likelihood of trying to bolt into the street so stay out of our way! (obviously, I don't phrase it like that to offender).  Sometimes, in the afternoon, we'll get parents who see a couple yellow buses lined up in the roundabout and think they can pull in, stop their car, get in , get their child called down, and get out to the car and leave before the rest of the buses come.  Usually, it doesn't work that smoothly and that person will get stuck waiting because once the kids start coming, the stop signs go out from the buses, the lights flash, and the staff comes out as well to watch for cars.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter school has drop off line. You drive through it and up to a covered curb where you have to pull up as far as you can and a teacher or safety pratrol child opens your car door and let's your child out of the car and you then drive away. Same thing in the afternoons at pick up but they are let out by grade so you get in the lines by what grade your child is in. But no parents get put of their cars at either drop off or pick up.

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Like frigging idiots!  No joke.  We have a "car line" at my youngest dd's school (kindergarten).  It lines up on a street, turns the corner right at the school and then pulls into the school's lot.  These fools see the cars line up, but zip right by, hoping to find a spot to squeeze their car into. Then, they're blocking intersections and driveways and get pissed when homeowners call the cops and the cops make them move.  

Oh, and drop off in the mornings.  Since so many cars are dropping off, they ask that you let your kid out and move on.  There are teachers hanging out at the front door (maybe 20 feet away) and outside.  They ask that you not go around cars (kids get out on both sides at times).  Well, these parents hold up the line, watching little Billy get in the building and start heading down the hall.  And they fly around cars to get to a parking spot or whatever.  

Fairywings1223
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

We have a police officer that directs traffic and no one can stop in the round a bout. They have to park in the parking lot to walk up.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It's not too bad here. Our school is a smaller rural school. Many kids ride the bus, so there's not usually a very crowded turn around circle. The busses drop off at a turn around circle in the front of the school and parents drop off at a turn around circle at the back of the school. Neither is right off the road- there are school driveways that lead to them, so you don't have non-school traffic in the mix at all.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Our drop off/pick.up line is long, but not crazy like that. But our school.is on a dead end road, and it is just the school! Lol. All cars form 1 line starting at the door, through the parking lot and down the road.

My issue is kids or dogs getting out and running around, while waiting, or seeing kids hanging out Windies or sunroofs while cruising in line :/
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have my kids walk to a near by neighborhood and I pick them up there if they aren't riding their bikes that day.  I won't go near the school.  The mommies with SUV's are CRAZY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)