Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do the other parents drive in front of YOUR elementary school?

Posted by   + Show Post

I really hope that the parents in my town are just idiots.

Our elementary school recently went through some construction; before it was finished, the parents would constantly block the one-way street in front of the school when picking their kids up. Stalled parking(stopping your call in the middle of the street, usually to talk to someone who is parked or stalled as well) is really common here. It is one thing when someone does it on a deserted street (it is still ignorant, but at least it isn't backing up traffic), but to do it in front of a school that has just let out?? ARGH!!!!!

Anyway, after the construction was completed and a roundabout driveway was put in, I thought it would change the way people drive...um, no. At the beginning of school, the point is to drive up, drop your kid off, and leave. Several parents will drive up, PARK, go inside with their kid, so that the rest of us get backed up and either have to wait until that moronic parent comes back out, or try to maneuver around the parked vehicle.

One that happened several months ago infuriated me to no end. A grandma was there to pick up the granddaughter; she parked her car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, walked over to the school and was gone for a good 10 minutes. Who does that??

Another instance just happened the other day; I was there to drop my girls off at school. A truck was stopped on the curb of the roundabout, and other vehicles got in the other lane to pass it and go around. Once car was stopped beside the truck TO TALK TO THE TRUCK'S DRIVER; I am not shy, I honked so they would get out of the way.

I expect parents to be good role models for their children; I realize that isn't always the case, but it seems to me that most of the parents at my girls' school think that they are the most important and consideration for others isn't necessary.

What is it like at YOUR school??

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Oh gosh op - yours sounds insane!!!

Ours is busy- but moves pretty well, although there is a long line for driving to pick up.

clo1988
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I'm dreading drop off and pickup next year! All I know is its a very long slow moving line. My son is in pre-k this year and even though its at a public school they have their own drop off/pickup line on the other side of the school.
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Good lord!  I wonder where some of these folks get their driver's license from.  On the campus of my daughter's school, there are two drop-off lanes, and if you're planning to walk your kid(s) to their classes, then there's plenty of parking spaces to do so or park on the curb side (outside of the campus). 

I've seen this lady parked her car in the middle of the drop-off lane, got out and went inside the building for a few minutes and there were parking spaces,literally, empty right next to where she parked.  Another time, someone parked their car on the pedestrian crosswalk, on the campus, and left two little kids insdie the car with the windows fully down and the little kids (both looks to be preschool age) half hanging out of the window, screaming and talking, as folks walked by looking at them and wondering where are the parent(s) of these kids.  So, I waited to see who was the owner of the vehicle and it was, I'm assuming, their grandma, but I think she was reported on, because she stopped parking on the pedestrian crosswalk and she took her grandkids with her, from then on.  Another time, the driver of a daycare school cargo van was going at least 35 (the speed is suppose to be less than 10mph), on the passing lane, on the campus, she was reported on. 

Even though the school address these rules of parking, driving, etc., folks continue to do what they want to do.  SMH

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I haven't experienced any issues like that. Sometimes the kids are a little slow getting out of their car but It's too bad. There used to be a dad who volunteered and he was great with moving traffic. Now there's a teacher there and pretty much only stops traffic if a kid needs to cross the parking lot. She's not as good as the guy was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I drop my kids off at the high school, because they catch a bus to their school from there (it's 25 minutes away).

I just park and my kids unbuckle and jump out when the bus gets there. There are a couple of other out of town buses, and we all have different times to be there. This all happens well before high school children are arriving, so it's not chaotic.

In front of their actual school? There are about 15 places to park (not even painted stalls) and you have to back into them. My kids go to a K-9 school with less than 200 kids, most of them live in that town and walk to school (it's a sports academy, so it's very active).

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I think many drive too fast to the school, but, it probably isn't bad. I want them to creep. Lol we live a block from the school, so mine always walk to and from school. Sometimes I'll walk to meet them on the way home. :)
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Parents can be assholes where I teach. They will park and sit there, not moving the line. They'll even flick off the helpers. SO RUDE!!!
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Its crazy....Mornings are the worst....We are suppose to drop kids off at the back door, some drop them off at the front door...It just causes a big mess

mlmynm81
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Sounds just like my kids school. What state are you from?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We have a traffic circle in front of our school, there are a few parking spaces there, mostly for office staff.  This traffic circle is closed to traffic during the morning drop off and afternoon pick-up, it is a bus only lane.  So parent's don't drive in front of our school during those busy hours.  Parents have to go to the side visitor's lot and park to drop off/pick up their child.  We don't have curb side drop off/pick up here and it really isn't necessary since 99% of the students ride the bus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN