Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do the other parents drive in front of YOUR elementary school?

Posted by   + Show Post

I really hope that the parents in my town are just idiots.

Our elementary school recently went through some construction; before it was finished, the parents would constantly block the one-way street in front of the school when picking their kids up. Stalled parking(stopping your call in the middle of the street, usually to talk to someone who is parked or stalled as well) is really common here. It is one thing when someone does it on a deserted street (it is still ignorant, but at least it isn't backing up traffic), but to do it in front of a school that has just let out?? ARGH!!!!!

Anyway, after the construction was completed and a roundabout driveway was put in, I thought it would change the way people drive...um, no. At the beginning of school, the point is to drive up, drop your kid off, and leave. Several parents will drive up, PARK, go inside with their kid, so that the rest of us get backed up and either have to wait until that moronic parent comes back out, or try to maneuver around the parked vehicle.

One that happened several months ago infuriated me to no end. A grandma was there to pick up the granddaughter; she parked her car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, walked over to the school and was gone for a good 10 minutes. Who does that??

Another instance just happened the other day; I was there to drop my girls off at school. A truck was stopped on the curb of the roundabout, and other vehicles got in the other lane to pass it and go around. Once car was stopped beside the truck TO TALK TO THE TRUCK'S DRIVER; I am not shy, I honked so they would get out of the way.

I expect parents to be good role models for their children; I realize that isn't always the case, but it seems to me that most of the parents at my girls' school think that they are the most important and consideration for others isn't necessary.

What is it like at YOUR school??

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM

That happens occasionally but it is not to bad

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Our pick up line is rediculous. We r suppose to pull up as far as we can and when someone leaves ya pull forward, this has apparently not been caught on by certain people and it drives me absolutely batty. They park just right so that a car cant fit, there is a daycare bus that will try to fit and then they look like a huge jackass. I hate pick up time. I think i could enjoy it more if i was drunk ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iHEAVENn
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

My son starts Kindergarten this coming year.... The school he will go to basically has it's own little street and the main street that leads up to it has big flashing yellow lights that turn on around the start of school, the middle of school (kindergarten release) and the end of school. The speed limit through there when the lights are on is 20mph. It is followed by pretty much every one because there are guards on the sidewalks that just randomly walk into the crosswalk to let kids pass. The street also has a fair amount of police activity which is nice. 

gracie0221
by Gracie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

ours is not that bad. I think the worse at our school is people park and leave the car in the drop off(I don't park there so it doesn't bug me that much) and people park and leave their car in red zones...hello it's red for a reason! 

Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Our school's drop off line is run like a smooth machine. There is a roundabout to drop off and there are teachers that monitor it. You can pull up, your child needs to be able to get out on their own and walk to the school alone. You cannot get out of the car to help them open / close the door. You have about 30 seconds to get them out of the car before you are expected to be pulling away. You are not allowed to sit and watch them walk to the door.

If your child needs to be walked in, you have to park in the school parking lot and walk them to the door.

If you violate the drop off line, you are not allowed to use it. Simple and it keeps it moving really well. Also, there is usually a police officer monitoring to make sure there are no U-turns or dangerous driving behaviors taking place. 

lovelychaos13
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

YES SAME HERE! and also the whole parking like asshats  making it near impossible to  go out throuhg the back  lot. oh and  idiots nearly slamming right into you because  they decided to  drive in through an exit only, and your forced to drive on someones yard in order to avoid hitting them. arrrrggggghhh makes me want to rip my hair out!!!!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Our school is actually really good about this.  We don't have a huge parking lot, we don't have a lot of space, but everyone follows the rules and it flows really nicely.  We have a specific pattern that is to be followed for drop-off and pick-up and everyone follows it pretty well.  There are school staff / volunteers out there to move the line along and to monitor the kids for their safety but I think there are rarely issues.

Now maybe it's because we are a private religious school.  I don't want this to sound snobbish, but when every parent here is going to the extra effort to pay thousands of dollars per child, then those same parents are more likely to go to the extra effort to follow the rules put forth by the school.  I mean, you're not going to pay the money to send your child here unless you like the way that they do things here.  KWIM?  I'm not saying that those who send their kids to public school don't care.  What I am saying is that those parents who don't care about anything but themselves are going to be found in the public schools, and then that's where you run into issues like this.  Hope that came out right.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I really can't tell you since I don't take nor pick my child up.

family in the van   Mom of four

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I don't even want to talk about the clusterf*ck that is the pick-up line at the lower elementary here.  If I still had the map drawing they sent home, I'd post a pic.

i'm sure I can find one somewhere to show lol.  it's an accident waiting to happen.

GleekingOut
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Our school is awful. Seriously awful. the mums speed, they don't watch the younger siblings and then yell at us if we nearly hit them. They park in the teachers car park, in off streets that your not supposed to park in AND they park in the stop, drop and go zone. If you've got a child in prep (kindy) or year one you must go in and pick them up - and to actually get a car park in the school and not across the road in the shopping complex (which is a no-no unless you're going there before/afterwards) you have to arrive AN HOUR EARLY because that's what everyone does at this school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN