Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do the other parents drive in front of YOUR elementary school?

Posted by   + Show Post

I really hope that the parents in my town are just idiots.

Our elementary school recently went through some construction; before it was finished, the parents would constantly block the one-way street in front of the school when picking their kids up. Stalled parking(stopping your call in the middle of the street, usually to talk to someone who is parked or stalled as well) is really common here. It is one thing when someone does it on a deserted street (it is still ignorant, but at least it isn't backing up traffic), but to do it in front of a school that has just let out?? ARGH!!!!!

Anyway, after the construction was completed and a roundabout driveway was put in, I thought it would change the way people drive...um, no. At the beginning of school, the point is to drive up, drop your kid off, and leave. Several parents will drive up, PARK, go inside with their kid, so that the rest of us get backed up and either have to wait until that moronic parent comes back out, or try to maneuver around the parked vehicle.

One that happened several months ago infuriated me to no end. A grandma was there to pick up the granddaughter; she parked her car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, walked over to the school and was gone for a good 10 minutes. Who does that??

Another instance just happened the other day; I was there to drop my girls off at school. A truck was stopped on the curb of the roundabout, and other vehicles got in the other lane to pass it and go around. Once car was stopped beside the truck TO TALK TO THE TRUCK'S DRIVER; I am not shy, I honked so they would get out of the way.

I expect parents to be good role models for their children; I realize that isn't always the case, but it seems to me that most of the parents at my girls' school think that they are the most important and consideration for others isn't necessary.

What is it like at YOUR school??

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Replies (51-54):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM
We have monitors in charge of the pick up and drop off lanes
noel1978
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

the same. we have to wait at a school for the kids's bus tp them up. most of us parents will pull into the parking spots to wait, but there is always one car who wants to park right where the bus picks up the kids. 

the school is also part of headstart. they have buses for their students, and there is always one person who parks her car right where the buses park instead if in the parking spots. one bus almost hit her car because the driver was trying to go around it to get into her spot. the lady was climbing back into her car at the same time. she saw the bus coming and made sure she opened the door all the way before the fully pasted her. my oldest made sure the lady could hear her and said "too bad the bus driver didn't break her door! it would have been cool to watch! hopefully tomorrow she'll do it."

their bus drops them off about the sametime the head start buses start to come.

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Aside from the really long line it's not too bad. I always to get there early so I don't get stuck in the back of the line. I just bring a book to read while I wait. I guess one of the other bad parts is, if you park and go inside good luck getting out of your parking,spot before the line goes down.
aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Ha! Ours is insane. I usually drop off at the corner and watch him till he is through the gates because it is big enough for one way but cars come from both sides....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)