Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

how do you get your kids to...

Posted by   + Show Post
drink water? my kids HATE it. they avoid it like the plague! they ask for something to drink and i say water so they say nevermind im not thirst. how can i get them to drink more water?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Water is something that they have to get a taste for. If they are constantly drinking other things, they lose their taste for it because their taste buds become too accustomed to strong tasting flavored drinks. My kids love water because they don't have any other choice, they are allowed one other drink at dinner, otherwise its water or nothing unless its a special treat. Just say water or nothing, in time they will get more used to it. Put a little squirt of lemon in it. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM
We drink flavored water or add the packets to the bottled water.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

The rule here is that water is the only drink available.  Period.  End of Sentence.  Milk is the only other option and that is only served with breakfast and dinner.  If you limit their options, then they will have to drink water if they are thirsty.  If they absolutely hate plain water, put water in a picture with lemon, lime, or orange slices.  That will add a little natural flavor to the water.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

If they are drinking a lot of milk, you really should make sure that it is a low fat/fat free variety.  I'd slowly work your way down to where they are drinking fat free (skim) milk.  Not only does it have less fat, which your kids don't need, it is also cheaper.

Quoting mommy06and09:

i finally made a rule that they have to drink a glass of water before any other liquid. i just hope this doesnt back fire on me and make them drink less of the other stuff. (the only other thing i usually offer is milk but they plow through that)

AleaKat
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I e always hated the taste of water as well. Flavored water or add a little lemon.
NananRaysmom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I do crystal light...we all hate water and that's the only way any of us will drink it.
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

puree fruits or those drink packs

jen113000
by Jenna on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I've always just watered down their juice. 75% water 25% juice. They've never complained. They will drink plain water if that's all that is available.

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM
We do drink packets like propel. My son hates water too but he'll drink it when something's mixed in.
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I don't usually keep any drinks in the fridge besides water and milk. Once in a while I buy juice or some soda.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)