Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

how do you get your kids to...

Posted by   + Show Post
drink water? my kids HATE it. they avoid it like the plague! they ask for something to drink and i say water so they say nevermind im not thirst. how can i get them to drink more water?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
unspecified42
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Zero.

Quoting winterglow:

I agree. Besides, once you've added stuff like this you can hardly call what you're drinking "water" because you've defeated the point in giving it. If you're going to drink sweetened water you might as well be drinking soda. Check the calories per glass ...

Quoting annelauer:

Artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. They're terrible for anyone, but I can't imagine giving them to children.

Quoting mommyofmonkey16:

I'm curious to know why...Anyways,  you can give them watermelon.

Quoting annelauer:

Don't do that!

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

Dd hates it too...I buy the drink packets to add to her water....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notyurmama
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Put a jug of water in the fridge with cucumber slices in it.  Apparently it makes the water taste fresher.  I don't know I drink gallons of water so my kids just always have as well.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM

flavor it.... throw some lemons, strawberries, etc in an infuser and make a gallon pitcher of the flavored water. 

Thankfully my kids LOVE water. I've always encouraged them to drink it. 

winterglow
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

OK, then it's no better than diet soda - you're feeding them chemicals.

Quoting unspecified42:

Zero.

Quoting winterglow:

I agree. Besides, once you've added stuff like this you can hardly call what you're drinking "water" because you've defeated the point in giving it. If you're going to drink sweetened water you might as well be drinking soda. Check the calories per glass ...

Quoting annelauer:

Artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. They're terrible for anyone, but I can't imagine giving them to children.

Quoting mommyofmonkey16:

I'm curious to know why...Anyways,  you can give them watermelon.

Quoting annelauer:

Don't do that!

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

Dd hates it too...I buy the drink packets to add to her water....

Lullababy
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM

We only have water to drink. I don't buy cows milk or juice. We use almond milk for cereal and the younger kids get 1 cup of raw goats milk a day. I stopped buying juices a numer of years ago.

href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Mine dont really have any other options. They r allowed a very rare capri sun or milk once a day. We dont keep juice soda etc in the house. If they r thirsty they will drink water. They do however like it best with ice. So i make sure to keep ice made in the summer since thats when they want it more often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM
My kids prefer water but they also like when I add fruit.
mom4awesomekids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Mine like water...they ask for it all the time.

ZennMomma
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I USE to let my kids have those drink packets, but I found them to contain artificial sweeteners like aspartame...which promotes the growth of cancer cells....No thank you.

i add orange slices, but really we just got them drinking cups with straws and make them take those around, they usually drink enough water.

A_McCool
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We don't really have a problem getting them to drink water.  The only options here are milk, water, or tea. They each have a cup of tea a day, and they get milk with breakfast and supper.  The rest of the day they must drink water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)