Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Have you ever had to tell your child that their teacher is wrong?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
MunchiesMom324
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

4K.  He turned 5 in february. 
They have naptime in 4 and 5K at our elementary school.

Quoting mjande4:

Nap time!? Is this preschool?

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Yes, because he's had a few accidents at school... she won't let him get up at naptime to use the restroom and he winds up pooping himself.  If it were more solid, I would understand him having to hold it.... but this is out of the blue diarhea and since she says he can't go... well, you know what happens.  Four times this school year, he's come home in different pants.  How embarassing!!!

I told him I don't care WHAT the teacher says - if he HAS to go, he is to get up and run.  Tell the teacher "I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to go" and just go straight to the bathroom.

sweetr0se
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

That's CRAZY she won't let him go, I would have told him the same thing, shame on the teacher!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Is 5K the same as kindergarten or is it another year of preschool that is followed by kindergarten?  Curious because they don't get nap time in kindergarten here, only preschool (which is the same as 4K).

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Yes, because he's had a few accidents at school... she won't let him get up at naptime to use the restroom and he winds up pooping himself.  If it were more solid, I would understand him having to hold it.... but this is out of the blue diarhea and since she says he can't go... well, you know what happens.  Four times this school year, he's come home in different pants.  How embarassing!!!

I told him I don't care WHAT the teacher says - if he HAS to go, he is to get up and run.  Tell the teacher "I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to go" and just go straight to the bathroom.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, no naptime here either. That's why I asked.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is 5K the same as kindergarten or is it another year of preschool that is followed by kindergarten?  Curious because they don't get nap time in kindergarten here, only preschool (which is the same as 4K).

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

So true.  I wish that more parents would remember that teachers are human and that EVERYONE makes mistakes.

Quoting mjande4:

Early on that happened a couple of times, but we handled it in a nice way. Teachers are overworked, underpaid, AND human. They will make mistakes JUST like parents do.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I've found mistakes in grading of tests and quite a few mistakes in one teacher's math homework answer key that she sends home to parents.  No, the answer key isn't from the book publisher, but something that she makes up on her own.

I politely point the mistakes out to the teacher, and it gets fixed.  I've never had to make a big deal over any of it though.

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

5K is regular kinder.  I think next school year it's a "rest" period, not mandatory naptime like they have now. 

It's been a while since I had one in kinder, I don't really remember.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I teach high school...on the first day of school, I give my kids a letter introducing myself...I tell them flat out that I am human and make mistakes. I am a horrible speller and most of my kids math skills are stronger than mine... If theh see me make a mistake just let me know. I use them as a learning tool for myself...it's also the reason that I never average grades on tests and quizzes...I do points, because I transpose numbers and adding another math step can mess me up.

We are only human. If we mess up, just let us know in a respectful manner. I think that was one of the best things that I learned from teaching gifted kids when I started out...I actually taught kids who were smarter than myself...so I learned quickly to accept it and I use those times to learn more about things.
aj23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM
My sons school and all out the other ones I know of near here have nap time for kindergarten.
I can't remember off the top of my head if it's state or district regulations but one if the two actually requires a rest period for prek and kindergarten if the school day is longer than (I think) 6 hours.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Sure, but only about small things that don't really matter, like getting wrong whose turn it was to show and tell. The teacher handled it great...he thanked the child who politely told him, said he was sorry to the kid he skipped, and explained that everyone makes mistakes...even teachers.  

Jessica45
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Not my dd's teacher but I have done it to my Spanish teacher in high school.
I'm 100% Puerto Rican, Spanish is my first language. I only spoke English in school to teachers and those that didn't know Spanish. My little group that I hung out with was all from PR as well. So mainly I spoke Spanish. My Spanish teacher was Irish. She was horrible at spanish. At the beginning of the year she acknowledged and liked the fact that there were 4 Puerto Ricans and 2 people from DR in the class. She said if she mispronounces something or spells it wrong or if there is another way of saying something to please let her.
Well she was constantly screwing up and we would politely let her know. She eventually said she didn't want to be corrected anymore. We would write things and do homework and we did it right. Since we didn't do it her way she was constantly marking our things wrong. It got to the point that we told her that we weren't going to do any work until she learned Spanish.
She ended up getting fired. I dont know she ever managed to get the job in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)