Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Have you ever had to tell your child that their teacher is wrong?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Not really wrong. But I've disagreed with things that are more a matter of opinion than fact. 

That's one of the most important reasons I send them to school. I want them to see how other people think and feel about things and make analytical decisions and judgment calls about what they think are right. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

There've been a few times I found an error that a teacher made.  I simply tell my kids everyone's human.  At open house one year, I had a parent argue with me about where Alaska's located which was hilarious although I did work hard not to laugh.   You know how some maps push it down to the bottom of the map, apparently assuming people would know it's really not south of Texas?  Apparently some people don't know that.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I misgrade papers from time to time. I catch myself sometimes. 

I'll be in the middle of checking a set of papers and start to wonder why the whole class is getting #7 wrong and look again and realize I  got it wrong. So I have to go back and fix them. I've had parents point our grading mistakes twice. They were both very nice about it. I've had several point out what they thought were grading mistakes but weren't. 

I always make my own answer key because it helps me really understand what things the kids really understood and what they didn't. But when I'm trying to grade over a hundred papers it's not going to turn out perfectly. Luckily most parents are understanding. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I've found mistakes in grading of tests and quite a few mistakes in one teacher's math homework answer key that she sends home to parents.  No, the answer key isn't from the book publisher, but something that she makes up on her own.

I politely point the mistakes out to the teacher, and it gets fixed.  I've never had to make a big deal over any of it though.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Quoting disneymom2two:

There've been a few times I found an error that a teacher made.  I simply tell my kids everyone's human.  At open house one year, I had a parent argue with me about where Alaska's located which was hilarious although I did work hard not to laugh.   You know how some maps push it down to the bottom of the map, apparently assuming people would know it's really not south of Texas?  Apparently some people don't know that.

That's when it's hard. When the parent come ready to throw down because you messed up and they are totally off base. It's rough to explain and be respectful to someone who is so sure you are an idiot and they are enjoying busting you for your mistake. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I've pointed out my own errors to the students when I catch them.  I was correcting a kid's paper the other day and marked something wrong.  He said it was right, I double checked,and I told him he was right and good catch.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

We had the lunch staff make a fuss because my daughter didn't want to eat her lunch one day.  She just wasn't hungry.  She didn't even eat her cookie. It ended with her getting a color change from her teacher.  We're not a household that pushes food.  Either eat it or don't.  I'm sure she's not going to starve herself to death.  Needless to say it all went over like a lead balloon.  Luckily I am on the Principal's Board, so I got to voice my concern and was surprised that other mom's backed me up.  The principal told the lunch aids to back off.  I never brought it up with her teacher since I was sick with bronchitis when it all went down and wasn't in the mood for a pissing contest. The total irony was a few weeks later we got one of those delightful "you're child is chubby letters".  I was ready to punch some one at that point.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Wow, that would suck!  I don't know of anyone IRL whose child was still napping at 4 years old, let alone 5.  Both of my boys stopped napping around 2 and I'm sure that they would have gotten themselves in trouble daily during nap time if our school had it.

Quoting aj23:

My sons school and all out the other ones I know of near here have nap time for kindergarten.
I can't remember off the top of my head if it's state or district regulations but one if the two actually requires a rest period for prek and kindergarten if the school day is longer than (I think) 6 hours.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is 5K the same as kindergarten or is it another year of preschool that is followed by kindergarten?  Curious because they don't get nap time in kindergarten here, only preschool (which is the same as 4K).

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

4K.  He turned 5 in february. 
They have naptime in 4 and 5K at our elementary school.

Quoting mjande4:

Nap time!? Is this preschool?

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Yes, because he's had a few accidents at school... she won't let him get up at naptime to use the restroom and he winds up pooping himself.  If it were more solid, I would understand him having to hold it.... but this is out of the blue diarhea and since she says he can't go... well, you know what happens.  Four times this school year, he's come home in different pants.  How embarassing!!!

I told him I don't care WHAT the teacher says - if he HAS to go, he is to get up and run.  Tell the teacher "I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to go" and just go straight to the bathroom.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

If Spanish is your native language, why would you take it as an elective in HS?  Seems like a wasted class period to me.

Quoting Jessica45:

Not my dd's teacher but I have done it to my Spanish teacher in high school.
I'm 100% Puerto Rican, Spanish is my first language. I only spoke English in school to teachers and those that didn't know Spanish. My little group that I hung out with was all from PR as well. So mainly I spoke Spanish. My Spanish teacher was Irish. She was horrible at spanish. At the beginning of the year she acknowledged and liked the fact that there were 4 Puerto Ricans and 2 people from DR in the class. She said if she mispronounces something or spells it wrong or if there is another way of saying something to please let her.
Well she was constantly screwing up and we would politely let her know. She eventually said she didn't want to be corrected anymore. We would write things and do homework and we did it right. Since we didn't do it her way she was constantly marking our things wrong. It got to the point that we told her that we weren't going to do any work until she learned Spanish.
She ended up getting fired. I dont know she ever managed to get the job in the first place.

aj23
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM
The kids don't have to sleep, they just have to be quite but most do sleep still. I know my son never takes naps at home add hasn't for a while now but at least 3 days of the week he takes a nap at school.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Wow, that would suck!  I don't know of anyone IRL whose child was still napping at 4 years old, let alone 5.  Both of my boys stopped napping around 2 and I'm sure that they would have gotten themselves in trouble daily during nap time if our school had it.

Quoting aj23:

My sons school and all out the other ones I know of near here have nap time for kindergarten.
I can't remember off the top of my head if it's state or district regulations but one if the two actually requires a rest period for prek and kindergarten if the school day is longer than (I think) 6 hours.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is 5K the same as kindergarten or is it another year of preschool that is followed by kindergarten?  Curious because they don't get nap time in kindergarten here, only preschool (which is the same as 4K).

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

4K.  He turned 5 in february. 
They have naptime in 4 and 5K at our elementary school.

Quoting mjande4:

Nap time!? Is this preschool?

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

Yes, because he's had a few accidents at school... she won't let him get up at naptime to use the restroom and he winds up pooping himself.  If it were more solid, I would understand him having to hold it.... but this is out of the blue diarhea and since she says he can't go... well, you know what happens.  Four times this school year, he's come home in different pants.  How embarassing!!!

I told him I don't care WHAT the teacher says - if he HAS to go, he is to get up and run.  Tell the teacher "I'm sorry, but I REALLY have to go" and just go straight to the bathroom.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Yes I have. I've told my 6 year old son that it IS wrong that his teacher applies her makeup right at her desk with her makeup mirror while the kids are doing their morning work. It is also wrong that when she forgets her cell phone in her car that she leads 22 first graders out the side door, props the door open with a rock and take a "field trip" to her car to retrieve the phone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN