Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Have you ever had to tell your child that their teacher is wrong?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I hate when I'm wrong in front of students, but I will always admit it to them. Like others have said, teachers are humans too and we do make mistakes just like anyone else. :)

I never mind when a student corrects me as long as they are polite and respectful about it. 

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Like I tell my students, teachers are humans and make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes! On Friday, I was doing a read aloud and skipped a page. A student raised her hand and told me, "Ms. C, I think you skipped a page." I took the opportunityto point out my mistake and remind students that it is okay to make mistakes because everyone, even teachers, make mistakes. I have also misspelled words on the board and even made mistakes when grading. It happens.

ThinkAgainMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Plenty for both kids.  They are both bright and personable enough that they eventually figured it out  themselves and would tell the teacher, politely.  The errors have been handled differently, by different teachers, some with grace, some with anger.  My DS's 5th grade teacher got so used to it, that she said in her thank you card for the year end gift, that she didn't know what she was going to do without him there to keep her on her toes!

Sometimes, the amount and type of teacher errors are just bad. DS, now 14 and a freshman, is in Honors math.  He does not like the teacher, nor do most of the kids.  He says it's because she doesn't know what she's doing. Last week she wrote a problem on the board and was talking about the answer (without solving it). He said that it was obvious that the answer she gave was NOT POSSIBLE. So he raised his hand and said that it could not be correct and why. (Which I understood completely when he gave me the problem and her answer.)  She looked, scratched her head and finally got out a calculator, did numerous computations and then said, "Oh, you're right.  Good catch."   Based on his reasoning if you were a math teacher, you should NOT need a calculator to know you were wrong.

So, not all teachers get everything right. They are people and they aren't always even in the right job.  If your child has a 'god-like'  view of teachers, do them a favor and help them understand their human. Otherwise they will believe everything they're told, even if they really know it's wrong.  If it seems wrong and they aren't sure, they should ask YOU.

janitablue
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Knock Knock I hope that never happens............

Quoting frndlyfn:

Not yet *knock on wood*.  

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I am sure it will in the future but not sure how or what it will be around.  I have had all types of teachers so i know as dd progresses through the grades she may encounter all different types as well.

Quoting janitablue:

Knock Knock I hope that never happens............

Quoting frndlyfn:

Not yet *knock on wood*.  

Jessica45
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Exactly. I took it for the easy A. Easiest class I've ever taken. Just everyone did the same. The Spanish speaking kids took Spanish and Italian took Italian, French took French. It's a headache free class.

Quoting steelcrazy:

If Spanish is your native language, why would you take it as an elective in HS?  Seems like a wasted class period to me.

Quoting Jessica45:

Not my dd's teacher but I have done it to my Spanish teacher in high school.
I'm 100% Puerto Rican, Spanish is my first language. I only spoke English in school to teachers and those that didn't know Spanish. My little group that I hung out with was all from PR as well. So mainly I spoke Spanish. My Spanish teacher was Irish. She was horrible at spanish. At the beginning of the year she acknowledged and liked the fact that there were 4 Puerto Ricans and 2 people from DR in the class. She said if she mispronounces something or spells it wrong or if there is another way of saying something to please let her.
Well she was constantly screwing up and we would politely let her know. She eventually said she didn't want to be corrected anymore. We would write things and do homework and we did it right. Since we didn't do it her way she was constantly marking our things wrong. It got to the point that we told her that we weren't going to do any work until she learned Spanish.
She ended up getting fired. I dont know she ever managed to get the job in the first place.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Not yet, but as a teacher I've made them. :p It's a good learning experience though, as I've told my students how IMPORTANT it is to check your work. ;)

TroyboysMom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I've had to tell my son that my niece's teacher was wrong several times. We were childcare at the time, and I was jaw-droppingly stunned and outright appalled by the frequency of her teacher's errors.

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:40 AM

My son told a teacher she was wrong and she was!  He got a pencil for correcting her.  My daughter's teacher was wrong in her opinions to me but I never told her so because she was always of the attitude she was right and the parent was wrong so I did not want to get into an argument.  She was the one who kept trying to change my no decision on a field trip.  She never even asked me for my reason!  Yes, teachers are definitely human.  

There was also a discussion about naps in K.  My kids elementary school also has naps.  My kids never took them but just rested.  But some children were snoring away!  There are many children in my kids classes that stay up very late.  I also think naps are good in K because in my opinion, it is hard on such a little child to stay alert for 6 hours a day!  

LACHESIS
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

No, but I told my mom in the 7th grade the teacher changed the grades because he did not like me (no clue why). 3 or 4 years later his wife admitted yes, he did change the grades (I was in a tiny school and he taught 4 of 7 classes). 
Fat lotta good it did :(  He went on to teach for another 15+ years. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)