Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it normal or is he being a brat?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Is it normal for an under 6 year old to cry over a left favorite bear?

Options:

normal

just being a brat

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 89

View Results

So my almost 6 year old kindergartener slept over at his dads house this weekend and took his favorite bear. I didnt realize it was gone until bedtime tonight when he began crying and stating that he cant sleep without his bear. While i understand that he is almost 6 i feel that this is a normal reaction after all i have a hard tune sleping when he is not here. We called his dad so that my son could get reassurance that his bear is ok and he will get the bear tomorow(evwn if i have to drivemabout an hour out of my way just to get it) and his dad tells him twice to stop being a brat about the bear and he will get it back when his dad comes next time maybe wednesday. My son was not crying hysterically or anything just crying real tears and saying he wants his bear. Is my sons reaction normal or is he "just being a brat"?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

At that age, I think he's just being normal.

dballa
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My 5 year old would be sad but she'd get over it. From what I'm used to dealing with, it's not normal but  I woudnt say hes being a brat either.  Maybe if his dad wasn't so mean about it he wouldn't have been crying??

Anytime my daughter can't find something she's really attached to, I distract her with something else.  It has always worked.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That is a totally normal reaction, especially if it is something that he sleeps with every night.

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My daughter has a stuffed rabbit she's affectionately dubbed "carrot" that is also her security object for sleeping. We did leave it at her grandmother's house one night and she was VERY upset. Luckily she doesn't live too far from us so it wasn't a big deal to go get it for her.

I'm pretty sure having security "blankets" is normal until they're like 9 or 10 

Bekki
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

My 5 year old is the same. Could you offer a substitute until you can get bear? Brother bear? Bears friend? Worked for my son when his bear was in the wash!

OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Lol, you and I must be cosmic twins.
We have Carrot's twin sister......Carrot!
Her rabbit is one of those cheap large stuffed rabbits you find around Easter at Wal-Mart and I walked by a crate with a bunch of them and had to resist buying 5 or 6 to stash away!
I've already purchased a pretty hat box and tissue paper for the day when she has finally outgrown Carrot... I admit that that damned stuffed rabbit has grown in MY heart, too. She's been a good friend to my little girl at night.

Quoting Bekki:

My 5 year old is the same. Could you offer a substitute until you can get bear? Brother bear? Bears friend? Worked for my son when his bear was in the wash!

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Becka8707
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Quoting dballa:

My 5 year old would be sad but she'd get over it. From what I'm used to dealing with, it's not normal but  I woudnt say hes being a brat either.  Maybe if his dad wasn't so mean about it he wouldn't have been crying??

Anytime my daughter can't find something she's really attached to, I distract her with something else.  It has always worked.

I know his reaction was a little exaggerated (a side effect of being over tired) and he did get over it with a little distraction and reassurance I was just upset about his dads reaction to it. Then I got to wondering if I was mad at his dad because of our differences or if he was actually being mean about it.
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

i'd say it's normal

smushy79
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
100% normal. I did the same thing with a blankie as a child.
Bekki
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

That is so funny! My son got attached to this cheap bear from Oriental Trading catalog that my sister gave him. I ordered 2 more just in case as I figured it might not last long. Bear #1 self destructed so we are on bear #2. #3 came out a couple weeks ago after ds got the flu and puked on bear 2. After bear 2 came out of the wash, I told ds that bear 3 (brother bear) had to go finish hibernating. I figure I'd better see if they have more! Love your hat box idea. FYI: I took my teddy to college!

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Lol, you and I must be cosmic twins.
We have Carrot's twin sister......Carrot!
Her rabbit is one of those cheap large stuffed rabbits you find around Easter at Wal-Mart and I walked by a crate with a bunch of them and had to resist buying 5 or 6 to stash away!
I've already purchased a pretty hat box and tissue paper for the day when she has finally outgrown Carrot... I admit that that damned stuffed rabbit has grown in MY heart, too. She's been a good friend to my little girl at night.

Quoting Bekki:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)