Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

is it normal or is he being a brat?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it normal for an under 6 year old to cry over a left favorite bear?

Options:

normal

just being a brat

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 89

View Results

So my almost 6 year old kindergartener slept over at his dads house this weekend and took his favorite bear. I didnt realize it was gone until bedtime tonight when he began crying and stating that he cant sleep without his bear. While i understand that he is almost 6 i feel that this is a normal reaction after all i have a hard tune sleping when he is not here. We called his dad so that my son could get reassurance that his bear is ok and he will get the bear tomorow(evwn if i have to drivemabout an hour out of my way just to get it) and his dad tells him twice to stop being a brat about the bear and he will get it back when his dad comes next time maybe wednesday. My son was not crying hysterically or anything just crying real tears and saying he wants his bear. Is my sons reaction normal or is he "just being a brat"?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
OwlNuggets
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah... I have a stuffed Barney the dinosaur (it's actually a rare item) that was produced by the Lions Club for Woolworth's before the show ever got picked up by PBS. My stuffed animal accompanied me to college too.... Hooray!
Luckily dinosaurs and throwback kid shows were popular at the time so I didn't get much shit haha 

Quoting Bekki:

That is so funny! My son got attached to this cheap bear from Oriental Trading catalog that my sister gave him. I ordered 2 more just in case as I figured it might not last long. Bear #1 self destructed so we are on bear #2. #3 came out a couple weeks ago after ds got the flu and puked on bear 2. After bear 2 came out of the wash, I told ds that bear 3 (brother bear) had to go finish hibernating. I figure I'd better see if they have more! Love your hat box idea. FYI: I took my teddy to college!

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
ladysamanda
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Very very normal. My ds 6 has to have the same Mario toy to go to sleep. He has had it forever lol. It so needs to be replaced.
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very normal at that age.

janitablue
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think your reaction to your son's father comment was a little of both. I believe the teddy bear bring him comfort . If your son forget his teddy bear I agreed with one mom comment have a big up teddy bear. I don't believe your son is being a brat.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, normal especially if you have a sensitive child.
Becka8707
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Bekki:

My 5 year old is the same. Could you offer a substitute until you can get bear? Brother bear? Bears friend? Worked for my son when his bear was in the wash!

i gave him one my rabbit i have had since i was a toddler and promised she would take good care of him tonight and that i would get his bear from dad tomorrow. He reluctantly went to sleep with her instead.
honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a brat, its normal. They still have a lot of emotional immaturity at this age. 

TroyboysMom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

No, he's not being a "brat." He's a 5 year old boy who is missing his lovie, to which he has a strong attachment. That's not being a brat. 

kameka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My odd is 10. She's very sensitive and very attached to bear she's had since birth (so much so that we bought both of her younger sisters the same bear in different colors). She would be devestated if she left him somewhere besides 'home'. She can go without him with no problems as long as she knows he's safe.
I say your son had a normal reaction and his dad is the brat.
gracie0221
by Gracie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I would also say normal. my dd is 7 and would react the same way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)