Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

is it normal or is he being a brat?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it normal for an under 6 year old to cry over a left favorite bear?

Options:

normal

just being a brat

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 89

View Results

So my almost 6 year old kindergartener slept over at his dads house this weekend and took his favorite bear. I didnt realize it was gone until bedtime tonight when he began crying and stating that he cant sleep without his bear. While i understand that he is almost 6 i feel that this is a normal reaction after all i have a hard tune sleping when he is not here. We called his dad so that my son could get reassurance that his bear is ok and he will get the bear tomorow(evwn if i have to drivemabout an hour out of my way just to get it) and his dad tells him twice to stop being a brat about the bear and he will get it back when his dad comes next time maybe wednesday. My son was not crying hysterically or anything just crying real tears and saying he wants his bear. Is my sons reaction normal or is he "just being a brat"?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
dballa
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO the dad's reaction and him being tired is most likely what caused your son's reaction.  There's no reason to call tell him he's being a brat about his stuffed animal.  Seriously, he's only 6. He's only a kid, but that doesn't mean you treat him like poop because you think they should get suck it up.  Yes, you want them to get over it and suck it up but you have to word it it kid friendly. 

Quoting Becka8707:

Quoting dballa:

My 5 year old would be sad but she'd get over it. From what I'm used to dealing with, it's not normal but  I woudnt say hes being a brat either.  Maybe if his dad wasn't so mean about it he wouldn't have been crying??

Anytime my daughter can't find something she's really attached to, I distract her with something else.  It has always worked.

I know his reaction was a little exaggerated (a side effect of being over tired) and he did get over it with a little distraction and reassurance I was just upset about his dads reaction to it. Then I got to wondering if I was mad at his dad because of our differences or if he was actually being mean about it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's normal.

It makes me sad that his dad called him a brat more than once over a pretty normal reaction by a 6 year old. :(

paytonleximomma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It is perfectly normal.  Neither one of my kids has had an attachment to anything however, I did until I got married.  It was a stuff teddy bear that I got the day I was born I am now 32.  I still have it and my DS sleeps with it sometimes.  I had to have that teddy bear with me at all times just to sleep.  It was more of a comfort thing.

LACHESIS
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My soon to be 6 year old was crying last night over his stuffed bunny... My nephew made it for him at BAB about 3 years ago... and Aiden has slept with it every night since. Rabby went to the first day of Kinder with him as well. 

So I vote normal!

daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

normal

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

at that age, normal...

his dad sounds like a real winner...  

dad had the opportunity to really connect with his son over this... "John, I know that you accidentally left Stuffy here, but I can assure you, I am taking good care of him.  Is it okay if he sleeps with me until I see you next week?  Then, he can tell you all about my house when you aren't here..."

Instead, he is trying to get the boy to "man up" when he is already stressed...

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is pretty normal. My daughter gets upset when she can't find certain toys she likes to sleep with.

PinkParadox
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM

normal

corrinacs
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I'd say normal.  A 6 year old dealing with going to and fro different parent's houses is not easy, doesn't matter the circumstances.  This is the only static thing for him.  Do the best you can and hopefully his bear reappears today :)

happinessforyou
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally normal :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)