Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Things to stock up on before my son starts Kindergarten

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 35 Replies

My son will start Kindergarten in the fall and I am wondering what do you stock up on before school starts. I am a deal seeker and a couponer so I thought I get my list together now before the sales for school supplies start. Also does anyone know where the best store to get uniforms? I know the school will probably give us a list of recommended things to buy but I want other mothers input!   

Update: I will get a list from the school at the Orientation Next week. I just want to know what extras to get for home and such.

Anything extra I can get for free or close to free with coupons and deals that my son wont need will be donated after my little sister picks out what she needs. 

I usually do that anyway with other freebies I get.

Thank you all for your lists and advice.

Thanks!

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aarensmommy
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

all ds needed for kinder was a backpack n glue sticks (for himself) he is in a publib school. the teacher had a list of things she would like donated an every parent took one item to help out.

we got him pencils for at home and when he started writing i got a school lined notebook for him to practice

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

With my children's schools they have their supply list on-line.  I just print them out and throw them in my purse and over the course of the summer get a few things here and there.  I mark them off as I go and that way I don't have the huge back to school supply cost come August (I have three kiddos).  My kids school "uniforms" are khakis and polos so we purchase those though out the summer too.  Our main back to school shopping right before school starts is usually just for shoes and the few odd and ends we may have forgotten.

dballa
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

The school my girls go to right now does things differently.  You pay $30 to the school and they provide all the supplies they need all year long and a school tshirt.  So I'd make sure they don't do something like that before you stock up.

momavanessa
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I think for the most part is things for home. Like glue, pencils, and paper. So he can practice and keep up with the learning.

Thanks!

Quoting aarensmommy:

all ds needed for kinder was a backpack n glue sticks (for himself) he is in a publib school. the teacher had a list of things she would like donated an every parent took one item to help out.

we got him pencils for at home and when he started writing i got a school lined notebook for him to practice

Jemia
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Pencils, glue, paper, crayons
JGSheeley
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Glue sticks, paper, markers, pencils, crayons, kis scissors, construction paper. Believe it or jot a lot of theor learning in kinder is through drawing and projects. For instance my son had to make a beetle today. Thats the way they do things here anyway. He also has a special notebook he practices his spelling words in. Ohhhh and also I got posterboard to write his sight words on as I got them and he practices daily. He has been on first grade testing for a while now because he knows all of his words and has for a while. I also bought notecards to practice things with by making our own flash cards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JGSheeley
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow yeahh i swear i can spell and type lmao i am exhausted! Been up all night with my three week old whom stays up for 4-6 hours a night lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:12 AM
2 moms liked this

For public school uniforms, Walmart had the best deals around here.  Our school came out with a pretty standard list- lined primary writing pads, pencils, crayons, safety sissors, erasers, glue sticks, white glue.  We also had to provide things like ziplock bags, paper towels, tissues, Lysol wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, dry erase markers... see if you can get an advance list form the school.  I would say, though, don't buy anything you would not normally have a need for until you see a list- no matter how good the deal, if you don't need it, it's no deal...

Now that we are 3/4 of the way through the school year, I can tell you that I replaced crayons twice for each of my two kindergarteners, and unless the teacher requires it, get standard crayons, not those silly fat ones.  The same with pencils.  The fat ones are actually harder to manipulate.  We have gone through about a dozen of the large pink erasers, and about 100 pencils.

Also, make sure you have enough uniforms... once the initial offering is gone, you will only be able to get them on-line... we ended up needing twice as many pants as we originally thought... boys are rough on pants, especially when you put them in a group with other boys... LOL...

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Also, look for the boys pants with a hook or snap fastener, not a button... the button can be hard for even the most deft child to manipulate when they are in a hurry or nervous...  we found that out the first week at school, when my son had to go to the nurse to use the bathroom because he couldn't get his pants undone...

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM

washable markers, washable crayola 8 ct crayons, construction paper, #2 pencils without decorative foil wraps, pencil box, fiskars scissors, white tshirt (used as a paint smock or gym shirt), extra pair of gym shoes to leave at school, backpack, plastic folder (for take home work), lots of glue sticks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN