Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Letting your kid play sports when they aren't good.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 52 Replies

My oldest has been in baseball for years.  And he does okay at practices and playing at home.  But he does horrible at scrimmages and games.  He seems confused, lacks confidence, and feels a lot of pressure from the other kids.  The coaches are always so competitive and you can tell they don't want to play him.  Last year he struck out at every single game.  But he wants to keep playing.  I'm happy he keeps trying, I wouldn't have made it through the first season if I was doing crappy.  To make things worse for him, his younger brother rocks.  All sports come so natural to him.

I'm wondering if other parents would continue letting him play-it's getting to the point where I have to stand near the dugout and make sure he's not getting pushed farther down the batting line.  Would you try to talk your kid into another sport or activity if they were doing horrible and no one wanted them on their team?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Yes let him play! I hate the uber competitive people, coaches. Drives me insane. My kids aren't very athletic, but they try and they have fun. And, they won't get any better unless they keep playing. Drives me insane how competitive they get so young.
ambermarie2006
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Let him play! Youth league is mostly for fun anyways
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

You don't say how old your son is, but at a certain point, and it sounds like you are nearing it or there, you need to reevaluate the league that you are in. We moved my kids into the competitive/club arena because "just paying for fun" wasn't enough. Parks and recreation leagues tend to be a little less serious. Good luck.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

It's just the regular little league through the district.  He's 11.  I wouldn't put him on the more serious competitive traveling ones.

Quoting mjande4:

You don't say how old your son is, but at a certain point, and it sounds like you are nearing it or there, you need to reevaluate the league that you are in. We moved my kids into the competitive/club arena because "just paying for fun" wasn't enough. Parks and recreation leagues tend to be a little less serious. Good luck.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

If he wants to play, let him.

family in the van   Mom of four

makelineerror
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
If he wants to keep playing, let him. I might see about a different team though. It sounds to me like he knows they don't want him, so he may not be trying as hard in the games. And do they really push him further down the batting line? Maybe the rules for the older divisions are different, but in my son's division (under 7), the coaches can't do that. Batter 6 always comes after Batter 5. If they change the order, they have to give a reason. "Batter 6 can't hit worth a crap, so we're skipping him" just doesn't seem right. If he's really being batted out of order, I would say something. Even the pros have a batting order, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

That is a tough age sports wise.  Where I live, and I know it's not that way everywhere, if you haven't established yourself as a good player by 12, then you don't have much of a chance of making the junior or high school teams.  Football is the one exception, just because of the sheer numbers needed.  I always encourage parents, however, that want tougher competition to look for it.  If the team they are on isn't working for them, then move forward.  Your post is kind of timely because a mom at football practice was kind of griping about the same thing to me last night.  My two boys are 10 and 12 and play on the same team and the coach has asked them to move on to the next league/team with him, but he didn't ask everyone and that's ruffled some feathers. 

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

It's just the regular little league through the district.  He's 11.  I wouldn't put him on the more serious competitive traveling ones.

Quoting mjande4:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Let him play!  In elementary school there are very few great players and a lot of kids who enjoy playing.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting kids play for fun. 

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If he loves it, let him keep going.  But if he is signing up year after year because that is what he knows, I might dlicately explore if there is any other sports that he might want to try out next year.  Especially since you said that it is a just for fun, parks and rec type thing.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I see no issue for letting him continue to play. Since he's 11, pretty soon schools sports might be the only option, and he might be cut from teams. Let him enjoy the team sport now while he still has that option.

It's too bad that you don't have a rec league in your area. My son does some sports at the travel level and some at the rec level. The rec teams are a lot more relaxed and focused on the fun of the sport and all the kids are rotated equally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)