Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you consider this stealing?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 105 Replies

Consider this, you are at the grocery store and you see a mom feeding her child produce, cookies, crackers etc..from the store inventory that she has yet to pay for. In your mind, is that stealing?

What about the mom that just pops a few grapes into her hungry childs mouth as she passes the produce section with no intention of buying the batch of grapes?

Or the mom that grabs a bunch of bananas and does purchase them, but before she purchases them gives a banana to her child to eat. She is paying for the bananas BUT they are a weighted item and her child has already eaten one so the weight is less, is that stealing?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
25 moms liked this
Anything sold by weight, yes.
Things you have no intention of buying, yes.
Crackers from a box you're going to buy, no.
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes that's stealing. What I don't understand is when my kids were little I would always pack a snack or two in my purse. That way they could eat if they wanted and it was something I already bought. I would never open an item before paying etc.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yes..it is. When I did store security we arrested people for that.

(OK...we never really sent them to jail for it...but I would treat them like I was, take a picture to post on our "trespass wall" and kick them out and tell them if they returned to our store they would be arrested for trespassing)

This was usually when we had teens and transients stealing. Mom and a kid with grapes, we just add $1 misc. To their bill!
SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Yes- if it's not paid for yet it belongs to the store IMO. At least with crackers and such it's easy to pay for them (still wouldn't do it), but the grapes and bananas situations- that is just wrong.

janitablue
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I could never understand why people do that. What type of example are you showing the child ? It is ok pops few grapes without not paying it. The child will grow up and think it is ok and one day decide it is ok to pop few grapes get caught doing it .who take responsible for that ? The parent , the child...........

corrinacs
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

In all cases, pretty much yes. If you eat any portion of anything weighted before you purchase it, its considered stealing.

Now, if you open a box of crackers for your child while you are in teh store, but you pay for it at teh checkout, that's no problem.

LilliesValley
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM
This. And I don't get why you wouldn't just bring a snack with you.

Quoting -42-:

BlueJane
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM
This. Exactly.

Quoting -42-:

LilliesValley
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I agree. It's not that hard to plan ahead.

Quoting jen113000:

Yes that's stealing. What I don't understand is when my kids were little I would always pack a snack or two in my purse. That way they could eat if they wanted and it was something I already bought. I would never open an item before paying etc.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I always ask the staff if dd can sample the produce item in question.   If you ask, they have no problem giving you a whole banana or a handful of grapes w/ no obligation to buy.

PS  at one store we went to, an employee actually opened up a bag of chips for us to try since we never tried that flavor before.  It was not a flavor we liked so thankfully we did not buy it taste unknown.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN