Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teachers in the PTA/PTO?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Max
  • 28 Replies

How many teachers are active in your schools PTA or PTO?

Apparently lack of teacher attendance has been a topic of discussion at the last few meetings. The PTO president even invited the assistance principal to come to a meeting to show him how few teachers came. He's sent us a couple of emails and mentioned it a faculty meeting. 

But the complaint annoys me for several reasons. First of all the meetings on on Tuesday afternoons. Our school had a tutoring program after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The PTO has been asked several times to move the meetings to Mondays so more teachers can attend, but they won't. 

Math is the second reason I'm annoyed. 3-4 teachers do attend every meeting. But only about 10-12 parents attend. So yes it's more parents than teachers. But if you look at the percent of teachers (about 10%) compared to the percent of parents (about 2%) the teachers are represented much better than the parents. Why should they expect that many teachers to come when there's only 30 of us compared to hundreds of parents?

The last reason is the reason I will not attend. Apparently the tone set by the current president makes the meetings a bitchfest. They complain about PTO members who aren't at the meeting. They also complain about the teachers openly at the meeting. If a teacher doesn't turn something in or fill out a form it's brought up publicly in the meeting. Comments like, "I wouldn't want my kid in her class," are made publicly as well. I'm just not the type to smile politely at that kind of thing. But I don't want to create a PTO sh*t storm so I am staying far away. 

So do your teachers attend PTO meetings, or is it mainly parents. 

by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Ours is mainly parents.  Our PTO does a lot, but the moms are just cliquey housewives who gossip about anyone and everyone.  They get things accomplished, but frankly the teachers want no part of that environment. I am a member, but I don't go to the meetings I just send stuff in and help at events as needed.  I am much more involved with the Dad's club, because my BIL is the president and my husband is very active.  They are also much more fun.  At the high school where I work we don't have a PTO, we have a SIAC team and there are several teachers on it and it's very well done.

SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

The only time I was ever "at" a PTO meeting was when we were having carnival planning meetings on the same night- on the other side of the library from them. I "saw" quite a few meetings. There were only parents and the principal. I was wondering why it was called PTO when its really the PO. LOL

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I don'tknowsince i'm not part

family in the van   Mom of four

huskermom98
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My first year there were usually a couple of teachers at each meeting, but this last year there was only a teacher there if they were requesting money for something.  We do have a couple of staff members that attend meetings, but they are also parents of kids in the school.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Our PTO has 3 teacher reps. They attend most executive and general meetings. They talk to other teachers, and see what everyone would like.
sonshining
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Funny subject. OUrs is called PTG, and mostly parents attend. Small school, so they assign one teacher to attend. All teachers get copies of the minutes. But with the small turnout, from the meetings I've attended, it too is a rumbling grumbling event. Not very productive.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

My son's elementary school has a PTO and a site counsel. The teachers are more involved in the site counsel, but the principal and a couple teachers still make appearances at the PTO meetings.

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM

My school doesn't have a PTO/PTA - its a small Christian school so no need I guess.

I wouldn't want to attend meetings that are just a bitchfest either - as a parent or a teacher.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Quoting Barabell:

My son's elementary school has a PTO and a site counsel. The teachers are more involved in the site counsel, but the principal and a couple teachers still make appearances at the PTO meetings.

We have a SAC that is about 50/50 school employees and parents. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

We have a teacher representative attend the meetings and disseminate the information via memo the next day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)