Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mississippi paddling

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

i heard mississippi brought back the paddle but you can opt out your child if you choose. do you agree with this method of punishment or would you opt out your child?

when i was in elememtary school paddling still existed till i was in the 4th grade, then it was taken out and afterschool and saturday detention was put in place of it.

i think i would opt my child out simply because i think the teachers would abuse the privlage of sending a child to the principals' office to be!

afterschool and saturday detention seems more logical. kids want to play and enjoy their sports, to hae to serve detention instead i think is a better lesson learned.

what do you think?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Some states still allow paddling with parental permission. I think Mississippi has always allowed it. I know there is a list online of the states that still allow corporal punishment. If you want, I can try to find the list for you.

It is not allowed in our state, and I would not sign off on allowing the school to paddle my child.

starr377
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

wow i didn't know there were other states that actually still did this. i heard about this on the view last week and was actually shocked that it was being brought back. i would opt out my own child but i honestly have mixed feelings about this. you have people who want to press child abuse charges if they themsevles choose this method but you also have children who don't respond to their parents punishment and to have a principal paddle them is not only humilating but some children seem to respect a stranger more than their parent.

Quoting Barabell:

Some states still allow paddling with parental permission. I think Mississippi has always allowed it. I know there is a list online of the states that still allow corporal punishment. If you want, I can try to find the list for you.

It is not allowed in our state, and I would not sign off on allowing the school to paddle my child.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM
All for it!
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I have a feeling the media got something wrong. Maybe a particular school district in Mississippi is bringing paddling back, but it's been allowed there for years. I'll post the list below.

Quoting starr377:

wow i didn't know there were other states that actually still did this. i heard about this on the view last week and was actually shocked that it was being brought back. i would opt out my own child but i honestly have mixed feelings about this. you have people who want to press child abuse charges if they themsevles choose this method but you also have children who don't respond to their parents punishment and to have a principal paddle them is not only humilating but some children seem to respect a stranger more than their parent.

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

States Allowing Corporal Punishment

State Number of
students hit
Percent of
total students
Alabama 33,716 4.5%
Arizona 16 (1)
Arkansas 22,314 4.7
Colorado 8 (1)
Florida 7,185 0.3
Georgia 18,249 1.1
Idaho 111 0.4
Indiana 577 0.5
Kansas 50 .01
Kentucky 2,209 0.3
Louisiana 11,080 1.7
Mississippi 38,131 7.5
Missouri 5,159 0.6
New Mexico 705 0.2
North Carolina 2,705 0.2
Ohio 672 0.04
Oklahoma 14,828 2.3
South Carolina 1,409 0.2
Tennessee 14,868 1.5
Texas 49,197 1.1
U.S. total 223,190 0.46
NOTES: Figures are from 2008.

Read more: Corporal Punishment in Public Schools, by State | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934191.html#ixzz2S9sSxty2

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM

This article is from 2012:

States with Corporal Punishment in School

Is spanking a child for breaking school rules a useful or destructive practice? Parents and educators are sharply divided. Twenty-one states allow some form of corporal punishment while twenty-nine have banned the practice.

Would you support a policy allowing physical punishment in your school?

Thirty years ago, I was a student at Henry Clay Junior High School in Los Angeles, and I have vivid memories of being told to bend over and grab my ankles while a teacher administered three blows with a paddle. When I think back I can't remember why I was punished and the only thing it taught me was to loathe that teacher.

If you live in a state where the practice is allowed, how is it working? Do you want to see the practice continue? If you live in a state where such punishment is banned, would you support its re-introduction into the classroom?

Where the states stand on corporal punishment:

Alabama--Legal
Alaska--Illegal
Arizona--Legal
Arkansas--Legal
California--Illegal
Colorado--Legal
Connecticut--Illegal
Delaware--Illegal
District of Columbia--Illegal
Florida--Legal
Georgia--Legal
Hawaii--Illegal
Idaho--Legal
Illinois--Illegal
Indiana--Legal
Iowa--Illegal
Kansas--Legal
Kentucky--Legal
Louisiana--Legal
Maine--Illegal
Maryland--Illegal
Massachusetts--Illegal
Michigan--Illegal
Minnesota--Illegal
Mississippi--Legal
Missouri--Legal
Montana--Illegal
Nebraska--Illegal
Nevada--Illegal
New Hampshire--Illegal
New Jersey--Illegal
New Mexico--Legal
New York--Illegal
North Carolina--Legal
North Dakota--Illegal
Ohio--Legal
Oklahoma--Legal
Oregon--Illegal
Pennsylvania--Illegal
Rhode Island--Illegal
South Carolina--Legal
South Dakota--Illegal
Tennessee--Legal
Texas--Legal
Utah--Illegal
Vermont--Illegal
Virginia--Illegal
Washington--Illegal
West Virginia--Illegal
Wisconsin--Illegal
Wyoming--Legal

For more information check out:

Read more on FamilyEducation: http://school.familyeducation.com/classroom-discipline/resource/38377.html#ixzz2S9t1wYw5

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hell no I would not allow my child to be hit by someone and I would not work in a district where I was required to hit a child.  

Quoting starr377:

i heard mississippi brought back the paddle but you can opt out your child if you choose. do you agree with this method of punishment or would you opt out your child?

when i was in elememtary school paddling still existed till i was in the 4th grade, then it was taken out and afterschool and saturday detention was put in place of it.

i think i would opt my child out simply because i think the teachers would abuse the privlage of sending a child to the principals' office to be!

afterschool and saturday detention seems more logical. kids want to play and enjoy their sports, to hae to serve detention instead i think is a better lesson learned.

what do you think?

Kris_PBG
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I would not allow it and would honestly not feel comfortable sending my children to a place where they did that.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I'm in GA and where I work my principal sometimes paddles. I support it and support it being used on my son, if necessary.

As for those thinking teachers would overuse sending children to the principal for it, that's ridiculous. It's not up to the teacher whether or not the child gets a paddling, its up to the principal and sometimes the parent.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

It is illegal here and I honestly don't think that I'd permit the principal to paddle my child, but then again I'm good friends with her and would most likely trust her judgement.

Corporal Punishment was legal when I was in school, our district outlawed it when I was in HS.  I was paddled in HS when it was still permitted, but it was for my birthday and not as a punishment.  That is a whole different subject though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)