Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Millenials are a mess! Are you raising your children . . .

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

Are you raising your children with a work ethic and to value hard work or is everything handed to them and not their fault?

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/05/02/18003987-todays-teens-more-materialistic-less-likely-to-work-hard-study-says

by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Great post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Thanks!!

Quoting Cindy18:

Great post!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Interesting for sure.  A lot of Gen X-er are raising those millenials, so that could be a huge contributing factor.  I was a teen in the height of the greedy, money hungry craze of the late 80's, but my parents did a great job of making me realize the value of a dollar and making me work for the things that I wanted, yet didn't need.  I'm trying very hard to do that with my boys as well and think that I'm doing a pretty good job.  My boys really aren't focused on having all of the gadgets and things that their friends have.  They don't ever hound me to get them the lastest and greatest hot new thing.  They also don't fight with me over chores and homework.  The tween years have been good thus far and we will see if the teen years are as well.

janitablue
by Janita on May. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so confused with the Baby Boomer, the Generation X and the Millenials. Here my view on this topic it does not matter what era,  or generation the child is born if  a parent does not raise their child to have work ethic, value hard work and expect everything to be handed to them the child is going to be spoil. There is no one to blame but the parent who did not instill strong values in the child. Sometimes with life experience a child become a adult develops their own value in life.

I grew up in semi spoiled shelter life. When I graduate from high school barely passing high school I assumed that my parents should pay my way to college.  I stayed with relative and I depend on mom to send me money.  I grew a back bone when my mother stop sending me money . I discover  in my twenties my parents does not own me nothing if I want to make a life for myself I need to go to college on my own. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Excellent perspective and I agree!

Quoting janitablue:

I am so confused with the Baby Boomer, the Generation X and the Millenials. Here my view on this topic it does not matter what era,  or generation the child is born if  a parent does not raise their child to have work ethic, value hard work and expect everything to be handed to them the child is going to be spoil. There is no one to blame but the parent who did not instill strong values in the child. Sometimes with life experience a child become a adult develops their own value in life.

I grew up in semi spoiled shelter life. When I graduate from high school barely passing high school I assumed that my parents should pay my way to college.  I stayed with relative and I depend on mom to send me money.  I grew a back bone when my mother stop sending me money . I discover  in my twenties my parents does not own me nothing if I want to make a life for myself I need to go to college on my own. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I totally agree. The only issue is that my child's problems aren't exactly his fault. There's a conspiracy against him. He's perfect, but somehow his teachers don't even seem to realize this. They keep treating him like the other kids when he's clearly very special. 

So while I totally agree about this when it comes to typical kids, it just doesn't apply to my son. As soon as the world acknowledges his superiority his life will be great. 

;)

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Darn you Max!  Perfectly good Merlot all over the keyboard.   Again!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I totally agree. The only issue is that my child's problems aren't exactly his fault. There's a conspiracy against him. He's perfect, but somehow his teachers don't even seem to realize this. They keep treating him like the other kids when he's clearly very special. 

So while I totally agree about this when it comes to typical kids, it just doesn't apply to my son. As soon as the world acknowledges his superiority his life will be great. 

;)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Hold the phone!  You have Merlot and you didn't share?  What's up with that? lol

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

;)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Swallow before reading. 

Is the concept really that hard to grasp?!

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

;)

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Bwahahaha! Is this what "tiger moms" are like in an alternate universe? ;-)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)