Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School supplies - different side.

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 31 Replies
I have always loved growing up and getting the school supplies... As an elementery student i do not remember needing as much as i hear these day... But i was little. In high school i bought as i needed....

Here even as a first grader my son buys as needed... They have a list of what is needed in his bag; he is responsible for making sure he has them...

I am not sure what i would prefer but the teachers do not have space to store that many supplies here so that is what works. Someone does not have something? The other kids share...

It works fine. I wonder when school supplies in the states became the practice of providing for the whole year? Has it always been that way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Its been that way as long as I can remember. The practice noe generally stems from the fact that stores count school supplies as a seasonal item. So good luck finding plain notebook paper or folders in February. If you do find them, they are usually double or triple the price they were at back to school time.
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Our school too has just a list of supplies and then if anything is needed we have to send it with our child or they share in school.  Like, JulesFairy said school supplies are a seasonal item and are pretty expensive the rest of the year.   I buy loads of stuff at the beginning of the year and just send what she needs, the rest is on reserve and used at home. 

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on May. 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I stock up myself for when my kids need more supplies at school through the year. I know they ask for stuff to last the year on the supply list but the only grades that they expect it all at the beginning is the Pre-K and K.  The rest will say 20 pencils (per quarter) so you know that you will need more pencils and that you can get them right away. I try to keep a years worth of supplies in my basement for my kids just in case their notebook gets full, or they run out of notebook paper, folders rip, etc...  I can truely say I do not complain about the amount we have to get. During the back to school sales I replenish my supply and after they go back I find backpacks and such on clearance for the next year for them.

poshkat
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM
From what I remember my mom never complained. We got what we needed and it was ours. Except tissues we didn't share our supplies. Before we immigrated to the U.S. we had to buy our school books, which was expensive.
aj23
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
They ask for a years worth because by January people stop sending anything. Plus the big sales are only once a year so it saves a ton of money by buying it all at once. Like many other things I'm sure the original reason for it has something to do with businesses trying to get more sales.

I don't think the lists are too much, even the really long ones. Its for a years so when its broken down by month its not much at all.
momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
When I was we lived.in California and the schools provided most of the supplies. Of course if we wanted the 'cool' stuff we had to bring our own. When we moved to Washington when I was in the 5th grade I remember my mom was shocked at how much stuff was needed. I don't remembe her really complaining about it. Mostly she was just concerned about being able to get everything for all 5 of us kids.
Like most moms I super stock up in the beginning of the year. I don't think the teachers ask for too much. Its just the odd stuff I can't find. I feel horrible if I don't get it.
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on May. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Great post. :) in my state, teachers buy the supplies with a stipend. My supplies the 1st 2 years were sent home. Schools aren't allowed to ask parents for supplies. I'm not saying I agree with it. Just what our state does.

Dcjgar01
by New Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

We get lists as long as my arm. Then they ask for more mid year.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I don't remember having lists when I was in grade school.  I remember shopping for supplies but I think it was more of a get what you think you need sort of thing.  I think so anyway, I don't remember for sure.  I do know it was that way when I was in high school though.

I don't mind the lists though.  Takes the guesswork out of trying to figure what my kid might or might not need throughout the year.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was little, we bought as needed.  But that was in the age of having individual desks, with whole groups lessons and silent work in rows.  Now it is much more common for kids to sit in groups at tables and go to different centers or areas during the day.  When that occurs, community supplies are needed so each area can be stocked with needed stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)