Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

field trip w/o permission slip

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 67 Replies
Our 1st graders will be taking a short field trip Tuesday ( 1hr 15min) to tour the elementary school where they will be next year for 2nd grade. No permission slips were sent home.

A lot of parents have gotten seriously upset over this. They were given 2 weeks notice. And students don't *have* to go.

I understand why no slips were needed, since the students will never technically leave school property.

Would you be upset? Do you think permission slips should have been sent. Home?

EDIT** our school does NOT send home a yearly permission slip like some of you have mentioned.
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

No i would not be upset since they did tell us ahead of time and it is to another school.

aj23
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this
If they aren't leaving school property I don't get why anyone would be upset. It's about as silly as getting upset if the kids leave the classroom and go to the gym or library.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM
They do have to take a bus .5 miles to the elm school. That is why, but since busses are school property they don't need permission

Quoting aj23:

If they aren't leaving school property I don't get why anyone would be upset. It's about as silly as getting upset if the kids leave the classroom and go to the gym or library.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM
4 moms liked this

No, frankly I would be upset if the teachers had to go through the ridiculous red tape of sending out permission slips to go.  It goes to show you though, parents will bitch about anything and everything. 

TJandKarasMom
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It would bother me.  If they are taking a bus, they should have a permission slip.  What if a child doesn't typically take a bus?  What if the parent is going to dismiss them early or bring them late, but they are not where the parent expects them to be?

We have 'step up day' where the kids travel to the new school to check it out, but we have to sign a permission slip.  All our schools are very close together, but if they leave the school they are enrolled in, they need a permission slip.  And they should IMO.

TJandKarasMom
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Also, our permission slips include parent contact info and health info that could be pertinent to certain children with allergies or if someone gets hurt.  The teachers carry the contact info so they can contact the parent immediately, and the health info so it can go to the hospital.  Most likely, nothing will happen in such a short trip, but you never know.  As a teacher, I would like to have those permission slips so if something did happen, I would be prepared to give the ambulance/hospital all the info I could.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I could not imagine filling out all that info for each field trip! Our classes have a binder with all that info, and it is in a zip disk all teachers wear with their name tags

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Also, our permission slips include parent contact info and health info that could be pertinent to certain children with allergies or if someone gets hurt.  The teachers carry the contact info so they can contact the parent immediately, and the health info so it can go to the hospital.  Most likely, nothing will happen in such a short trip, but you never know.  As a teacher, I would like to have those permission slips so if something did happen, I would be prepared to give the ambulance/hospital all the info I could.

aj23
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM
If they are getting on a bus that's different. Anytime a child is being transported somewhere during school hours there needs to be permission slips. They may be going to another school but if they aren't on the same lot of land then it's not the same thing as staying on school property.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

They do have to take a bus .5 miles to the elm school. That is why, but since busses are school property they don't need permission

Quoting aj23:

TJandKarasMom
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Most of it is printed on the form-we are asked to make any corrections and provide a number where a parent can be reached during the trip (which could change from trip to trip).  And we have to sign giving permission to leave the school and permission for the teachers/admin to make emergency medical decisions (like to call an ambulance and allow the child to get care).

Quoting mommaFruFru:

I could not imagine filling out all that info for each field trip! Our classes have a binder with all that info, and it is in a zip disk all teachers wear with their name tags

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

TJandKarasMom
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I also wouldn't want my kids' info on a zip disk the teachers all wear, many teachers in my tiny school alone have lost their name tags, which means they would have lost my kids' infor as well.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)