Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

New to this group but, I really need your help.

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 6 Replies

Okay, so my son isn't actually in elementary school yet. He goes to a public pre school that filters into the Elementary school for our area, and he is supposed to start kindergarten there in the fall. We love our neighborhood and we love the school. For reasons that I don't want to get into right now, we may have to move for awhile. Just for a year or so to try and save money. My question is, how damaging will this be for him? If he goes to kindergarten somewhere else and then we move back to this area again, will there be lots of negative effects? Does anyone have experience with moves like this at such a young age?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
StephanieSH
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Kids are pretty resilient and you have to do what's best for your family as a whole. 

annelauer
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Our daughter went to a different school in K. She is in first grade now and is doing just fine. I think as long as you keep it positive and are enthusiastic about it, he will find it fun and exciting too.
Rebecca7708
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM
I just feel bad because we put him in this particular program with the understanding that he would be attending this elementary school. They've done meet and greets with the staff, they've done tours of the school. He talks about going to school in the fall, ALOT.

Quoting annelauer:

Our daughter went to a different school in K. She is in first grade now and is doing just fine. I think as long as you keep it positive and are enthusiastic about it, he will find it fun and exciting too.
tel4him
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Will you be in the same school district?  If so, you may want to see if you can keep him at the school.  You'll probably have to provide your own transportation, but they may be willing to work with you if it's only going to be for a year.  It's worth looking into.  If not, your son will be fine.  He'll be disappointed at first, I'm sure, but just play up the positives of the new school and how it will be great there, too.  Kids bounce back. They get over things a lot quicker than we think.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM
My daughter has gone to multiple different schools. Im sure your son will be fine
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Young kids adapt pretty well. Unless he has always had some issue dealing w/ change, he will be unhappy at first, but adjust to it just fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)