Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Mom's What do you do...

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 12 Replies

Mom's what do you do when your child is being naughty?

Mom's what do you do when your child is angry?

Mom's what do you do when your child doesn't bring home homework or complains about homework?

Mom's what do you do when your child's socks come up missing?

Mom's what do you do when your child is missing a shoe?

Mom's what do you when your child backtalks you?

Mom's what do you do when your child refuses to clean or participate in chores?

Mom's what do you do when your child says NO?

All mom's I'm just curious :)

by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Socks/shoes we go for a hunt.  The others she loses privileges and/or does breathing exercises to calm down.   I banned the word chore from our house (ha ha).  We have household tasks that she needs to help with.

annelauer
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Moms what do you do when someone repeatedly puts apostrophes where they don't belong?
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Try to not bring that up when they are asking a question.

Quoting annelauer:

Moms what do you do when someone repeatedly puts apostrophes where they don't belong?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

It depends on the circumstances for some of those. Most have a punishment that I do my best to stay consisent w/- sent to room, loss of a privilege, and/or grounded.

Chores and/or telling me "no"- I tell them I didn't ask if they wanted to, I told them to. Sometimes I'll think to ask, "Do you want to get sent to your room?", and when they say "no", I tell them, "Then do what you were told to." Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on which child and how stubborn they are feeling at the time.

Missing shoe/sock- Shoes I'll usually help look for, but socks I just send them upstairs to get another pair.

Forgetting homework on a consistent basis gets a conference w/ the teacher, w/ the child present (done many of those w/ ds1). Whining about homework just gets the "You don't have a choice, do it!"

Angry is usual a send-to-room to calm down. Sometimes, depending on which child and what they've done to express that anger, time out still works. That's mainly w/ ds1 (who hates having to be quiet) and dd (who hates being able to see the action, but not be involved in it).

Backtalk- I usually give them a "What was that?" w/ a stern, you-better-reword/rethink-that look, although a little smack on the mouth is not out of the question if it was severe enough.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

This made me laugh.  The answer, of course, is I don't read the post in it's entirety. 

Quoting annelauer:

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Ignore them. If they don't get attention for it they usually stop

We sit and take deep breaths and try to talk it out

They have always brought their homework home and rarely complain about it.

Make them go through their rooms and find all their socks.

We look for it.

Stare at them until they tell me they are sorry. (wierd I know, but it works)

They fuss but they will usually help me anyway.

They very rarely tell me no.

I have two very well behaved children. If they do misbehave we just kinda deal with it as it happens. I don't have set consequences for misbehavior because it rarely happens.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Quoting Readyforbaby5:

Mom's what do you do when your child is being naughty? Depends on what they are doing. We use grounding, time outs, take away computer/tv privileges..etc.

Mom's what do you do when your child is angry? Talk to them about why they are angry.

Mom's what do you do when your child doesn't bring home homework or complains about homework? Talk to them about why homework is important and their responsibility.

Mom's what do you do when your child's socks come up missing? LMAO! Is this a serious question? Buy them new socks.

Mom's what do you do when your child is missing a shoe? They have more then one pair of shoes, this isn't a big deal. It'll get found eventually.

Mom's what do you when your child backtalks you? Talk to them about their tone of voice and how we should talk to one another in a respectful way.

Mom's what do you do when your child refuses to clean or participate in chores? See above punishments.

Mom's what do you do when your child says NO? My children have never told me "no" because I've never asked anything completely unreasonable of them.

All mom's I'm just curious :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

When my kids are misbehaving they typically get time outs or lose privileges. When they're angry, they're encouraged to find a place to be by theirselves where they can cool down. When socks go missing, they wear mismatched pairs.  I do get frustrated when their shoes are missing because it's always when we're in a hurry.  There's nothing to do but find the shoe and move on.  My kids are homeschooled, so the homework isn't a problem. 

LucyHarper
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I discipline them, talk to them, or tell them to look harder.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Ignore it

Quoting annelauer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)