Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son was just introduced to the "P" word!! (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 59 Replies

Yesterday, I took my 8 year old son to see Iron Man 3. It was a packed theater with tons of kids of all ages.

Before we went, I read the reviews and ratings on it to make sure it was appropriate for him. It has a PG-13 rating and this is what was listed: MPAA rating: PG-13 for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughtout, and brief suggestive content. No where does it say language. While I agree that the sci-fi action violence was there, it was very comic bookish. We talked about it before hand, he understands that it is all just 'movie magic' and not real. My issue was that half way through the movie the main character who plays Iron Man tells a kid (10- 12 yrs in age) not to be a "p***y". There was an audible gasp from the crowd, mostly from parents of younger children.

My issue is that no where in the MPAA warning did it say anything about language.

Would you be upset if your child heard this word or any other inappropriate word in a movie that gave NO indication that that type of language would be used?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

No. Of course, I've let my kids see Smokey and the Bandit, which does not have the best language in the world, and some of Jeff Dunham's Achmed the Dead Terrorist routines (they love Jingle Bombs, but know they do not sing it at school, on the bus, or at Scouts/church activites!) 

They all learned at an early age what words/phrases are not acceptable for them to repeat; ds1 is the only one who has tried pushing it, and after a few light smacks on the mouth for doing so, all 3 learned not to use those. If any word/phrase they haven't heard before comes up, I just tell them, "That's one of the things you do NOT repeat."

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm still trying to figure out what the "P" word is.  confused

I don't have a problem with language and my boys have watched all sorts of movies including Smokey and the Bandit like wakymom's kids.  I use language in movies as a teachable moment instead of shielding them from the words, we talk about why that particular word isn't appropriate for them to use.

MrsLondon
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

No. I think the ratings are off these days anyway so I would expect language in a PG-13 movie. It doesn't seem like some of you that took your kids to see it were realistic about what the movie makers "idea" of kid friendly is. Look who's staring in the movie for goodness sake. The first and second Iron Man had language in it too.

Tell him not to repeat it and move on. For all you know he's heard it at school already.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on May. 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Yes I would be upset if I had my younger two sons.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

My guess is "pussy", as in "Don't be such a pussy!"

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't have a problem with language and my boys have watched all sorts of movies including Smokey and the Bandit like wakymom's kids.  I use language in movies as a teachable moment instead of shielding them from the words, we talk about why that particular word isn't appropriate for them to use.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

SMH  I obviously need more coffee.  lol

Quoting wakymom:

My guess is "pussy", as in "Don't be such a pussy!"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Jessie3398
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM
It says brief suggestive content....maybe he was must too young for it. I'm surprised he's never heard it before...not even when referring to a cat even???
paytonleximomma
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

My kids watch all types of movies.  And on that note they probably have heard every word in the book.  I have a very loud opinionated family on my dads side.  However, my kids know they can not speak like that and when they do they now what will happen.  And movies today dont put in alot of thought to their warnings because the more people they get through the doors to see them the more money they will make.

Jessie3398
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Just...sorry fat fingers

Quoting Jessie3398:

It says brief suggestive content....maybe he was must too young for it. I'm surprised he's never heard it before...not even when referring to a cat even???
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

For those who are going to say that the ratings have gotten lax recently, I just checked my dvd collection and Smokey and the Bandit is rated PG and it has some really nice language.  The first two Indiana Jones Movies are also rated PG.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)