Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son was just introduced to the "P" word!! (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday, I took my 8 year old son to see Iron Man 3. It was a packed theater with tons of kids of all ages.

Before we went, I read the reviews and ratings on it to make sure it was appropriate for him. It has a PG-13 rating and this is what was listed: MPAA rating: PG-13 for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughtout, and brief suggestive content. No where does it say language. While I agree that the sci-fi action violence was there, it was very comic bookish. We talked about it before hand, he understands that it is all just 'movie magic' and not real. My issue was that half way through the movie the main character who plays Iron Man tells a kid (10- 12 yrs in age) not to be a "p***y". There was an audible gasp from the crowd, mostly from parents of younger children.

My issue is that no where in the MPAA warning did it say anything about language.

Would you be upset if your child heard this word or any other inappropriate word in a movie that gave NO indication that that type of language would be used?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Well you took your 8 year old to a PG13 movie. You have no right to be upset, IMO. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm still trying to figure out what the "P" word is.  confused

I don't have a problem with language and my boys have watched all sorts of movies including Smokey and the Bandit like wakymom's kids.  I use language in movies as a teachable moment instead of shielding them from the words, we talk about why that particular word isn't appropriate for them to use.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I wouldn't take an 8 year old to a PG13 movie for just this reason. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

LOL

Somehow seeing you post that makes me giggle. I just don't picture you as a potty mouth!

Quoting wakymom:

My guess is "pussy", as in "Don't be such a pussy!"

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't have a problem with language and my boys have watched all sorts of movies including Smokey and the Bandit like wakymom's kids.  I use language in movies as a teachable moment instead of shielding them from the words, we talk about why that particular word isn't appropriate for them to use.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Mee owwwww!!!!!!!!!  LMAO

Waky already determined that I needed A LOT more coffee this morning.  lol

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

careyphotoo
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
First you took your son to PG-13 you should have known there would be some kind of language. Second if your kid goes to school I'm pretty sure they've heard worse than that at school or on the bus you can't sensor everything you just have to explain that they are bad words and we don't say them.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao, i can just see the chaos that would happen if they started singing jungle bombs at school!

Quoting wakymom:

No. Of course, I've let my kids see Smokey and the Bandit, which does not have the best language in the world, and some of Jeff Dunham's Achmed the Dead Terrorist routines (they love Jingle Bombs, but know they do not sing it at school, on the bus, or at Scouts/church activites!) 

They all learned at an early age what words/phrases are not acceptable for them to repeat; ds1 is the only one who has tried pushing it, and after a few light smacks on the mouth for doing so, all 3 learned not to use those. If any word/phrase they haven't heard before comes up, I just tell them, "That's one of the things you do NOT repeat."

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you're slipping if you need Wacky to fill you in on the dirty stuff. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Believe me, I feel like quite the dumb @ss over this and obviously my friends aren't going to let me live this one down any time soon.  lol

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Awww... don't be such a

Quoting steelcrazy:

Believe me, I feel like quite the dumb @ss over this and obviously my friends aren't going to let me live this one down any time soon.  lol

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)