Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do You Still Carry Your Kids?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mom Confession: I Still Carry My 7-Year-Old Son

by Mary Fischer

mom and sonAll right. I guess I'd better just go ahead and put this out there. My son is 7 years old, and on occasion, I still carry him. Yes, I'm aware that he's nearing the end of first grade and is perfectly capable of walking on his own. And yes, I know he's probably way too big to be carried, being that he weighs close to 50 pounds.

But even though he's too old, too heavy, and way too independent for me to cart him around in my arms like a baby -- I still do it.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I'm raising my very own Suri Cruise -- and I dig it.

Here's the thing -- my little guy is my only child (I'm on the one-and-done plan), so I know all too well that my cuddling days are numbered.

Any day now, he's going to be absolutely horrified at the thought of holding my hand, letting me hug and kiss him in public, or (gasp!) allowing me to pick him up, hold him close, and carry him around.

Having him in my arms is one of the last bits of "little kid" I'm ever going to have, so I figure I might as well savor it as long as he's willing to let it go on. And I should add that the majority of the time, he asks to be picked up -- not the other way around. He'll ask me to carry him upstairs for bedtime, or into the grocery store as we get out of the car, or after we've been walking around all day and his little legs need a rest.

And I know I probably need to go ahead and put a stop to it so he doesn't turn into a major mama's boy -- but the truth is, I'm just not sure I'm ready to let go. (Literally.) What if I start refusing him and hurt his feelings? Or what if I say no -- and then he never requests to be picked up again and it's all over in the blink of an eye? (Sniffle.)

Nope. I can't handle that. At least not yet.

Oh, and besides squeezing every extra hug out of this kid that I possibly can before he grows up -- carrying him does come with one other huge bonus. If nothing else, it helps keep my arms toned. Sure, I work out when I can, but a little extra upper body work can't hurt, right?

(Psst! Katie Holmes? Give me a call, girl. I'm the only one who "gets" you. We'll do lunch the next time I'm in the city.)

Do you still carry your kids?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I carry Caden once in a while too!  You are right, the cuddling days are dwindling!  Take what you can :).

Rosebud27aj
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My 6 yr old no...my 3 yr old yes...

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

If he's injured I'll try to pick him up.... but other than that he walks. I tried to piggy-back him and that just hurt my back (my son's 6 1/2 and almost 70 pounds)

huskermom98
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

My 8yo--no, he's too tall.

My 5yo--sometimes, but never for long!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Heck no!  My 8 year old, he weighs about 65 lbs.  I physically can't carry him.  I can barely get him off the ground most days.  (I know, my upper body strength sucks.)

My 6 year old is about 48 lbs I think.  I can carry him but don't most of the time.  He gets heavy really quick if I carry him somewhere.  He rarely asks anymore either.  He's more of a lap cuddler and we do tons of that.

My older son had to learn to walk on his own at an early age.  He was 2 when my younger son was born and therefore couldn't be carried anymore because I was always carrying the little one.  Though we did still use a double stroller for quite a while.  I think I carried my younger one on a fairly regular basis until he was 4.  He's smaller and lighter for his age and he's the youngest so I was able to keep it up longer with him.  Even at that we just got to a point that we just didn't do it anymore.  Pretty much the only time I carry him anymore is if he falls asleep in the car and I carry him inside to bed.

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

NO, my older two are 9 & 11 and my two youngest are two year old twins. I went to pick one up this morning and he informed me he is not a baby and the other runs away. They are very independent.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I admit, I do still carry my 7 year old.  He's my youngest so yeah.  And I only do it around the house.

family in the van   Mom of four

endurablemist
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Just my almost 3 year old.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

That would be a big HECK NO!  lol  I don't think that I've carried either of my boys since they were 3 or 4 years old and now both of them are way past being too heavy to carry.  My 12 year old weights 115 pounds and is 5'3" tall, taller than me.  How would I go about carrying that?

aj23
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I still carry mine more than I should. He'll be 6 in a couple of weeks but he's only 40lbs so thankfully he's not really heavy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN