Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is she overweight?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

So my 6.5 year old was wearing a tank top today and someone made a comment to me about her weight. She has a little bit of a belly, but not much, she's very "solid" though.  She's 47.5 inches tall (everyone always says how tall she is for her age) but she's 59 lbs. how much does/did your 6/7 yr old weigh and how tall are they?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I don't know. There are online charts. My son is the same age ane height and he is 47 lbs. and SUPER skinny.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

My DD is 45 inches tall and just around 40 lbs. She is 7.

KristenFowles
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

He's 6.  61lbs.  Definitely far from fat.  He's about 53 inches tall.

My 5 year old dd is 44 inches tall and 41lbs. 

My DS is SOLID.  My DD is wafty.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

She is 50 something for weight and over 48 inches for height.   Everyone mistakes her for an 8 -9 year old due to height .  She is 7.   I was underweight for most of my life and still had a belly on me.

mommyofone123
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

That's what's throwing me off. The online charts say she should b 47lbs BUT that's for a 6/7 yr old that is 41 inches tall. She's a little shy of 48 inches....

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I don't know. There are online charts. My son is the same age ane height and he is 47 lbs. and SUPER skinny.

MrsApple
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My 6 1/2 yr old (7 in Oct) is 48 1/2 inches tall and 50lbs.

I wouldn't call your daughter overweight though.

SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The school I used to work for had someone come in and calculate each child's BMI to send notes to parents. I was shocked to see some of the students who were labeled "overweight" 

notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
You should be able to find a different one. Let me see.

Quoting mommyofone123:

That's what's throwing me off. The online charts say she should b 47lbs BUT that's for a 6/7 yr old that is 41 inches tall. She's a little shy of 48 inches....

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I would discuss it with the doctor.

I would however say in my own experience with one underweight child and one overweight child that she is likely going to be considered overweight. Ds was 6 and entered kindergarten weighing 60lbs or so and was 46" tall at the time.

Dd was 6 and 45" tall and only weighed about 40lbs. 

notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I just did an online calculator on about.com with her stats and it puts her in the 95th percentile for weight and they say that is overweight and ideally she should be under 85 percent. I would talk to the doctor though, that's the best way, I feel, to figure out if she is or not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)