Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Discipline ideas needed - PIOG

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ladies I am desperate for advice. My 7 year old who is normally pretty well behaved (by no means an angel but not a "bad" kid either. It seems as if in the last couple of days he has turned into a demon spawn. Now he has always been forgetful about stuff and luckily for him no major consequences have occurred. He has never been sent to the office about his behaviour - he ha always been a good kid as I said. Come to the last 72 hours or so and oooooooh boy he is pushing his luck. He talked so much in class yesterday that the punishments were escalated all the way to the principal, his bike was stolen because he didn't put it away and a very good chance he has lost his $80 winter cost at school. I am just feeling so overwhelmed right now with this I can't think straight. He is of course grounded in the traditional sense for a month, is writing a letter of apology to his teachers and has a week of in school detentions but I am after some more creative non traditional punishments as well that will hopeful help him understand. Give me your best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

If he gets an allowance, you could have him help pay for a new coat.

MikeysMom22
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

The first few things that come to mind... has he just met any new friends that do similar things, talking in class etc.? Has he asked about or look in the lost and found for the winter coat? I used to work in an elementary school, it was amazing how much stuff ended up in the lost and found. They had two coat racks and two big cardboard containers, similar to those used for trash filled with stuff...coats, sweaters, sweat shirts, shoes... yes, shoes, lol lunch boxes, caps, etc.  About the bike.. so he left it outside your house instead of where he was supposed to put it away... He should have put it away, but the person that took it is also a thief. ... anybody in the neighborhood you think? I would rule out all of those things if you have not already before deciding what else to do.

bluedolly01
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM
No allowance as such.

Quoting wakymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
No new friends that we know of. He will be checking the lost property this afternoon when I collect him from school if he hasn't already found it, no one in the neighborhood springs to mind although I do suspect that it might be teenage boys because they removed the seat which is a current trend where I live.

I am getting him to help me make up some flyers and put them up but I don't hold much hope of getting it back.

Quoting MikeysMom22:

The first few things that come to mind... has he just met any new friends that do similar things, talking in class etc.? Has he asked about or look in the lost and found for the winter coat? I used to work in an elementary school, it was amazing how much stuff ended up in the lost and found. They had two coat racks and two big cardboard containers, similar to those used for trash filled with stuff...coats, sweaters, sweat shirts, shoes... yes, shoes, lol lunch boxes, caps, etc.  About the bike.. so he left it outside your house instead of where he was supposed to put it away... He should have put it away, but the person that took it is also a thief. ... anybody in the neighborhood you think? I would rule out all of those things if you have not already before deciding what else to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Extra chores then to work off some of the "cost" of the new coat. And maybe not get an $80 dollar coat next time. . .

Quoting bluedolly01:

No allowance as such.

Quoting wakymom:

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Just curious why you grounded him for a month. That's a long time for you to put up w him being grounded.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I will give advice as how I would handle it with my little man (he will be 7 this summer).  I would have him write a simple letter of apology to his teacher for his behavior in class.  Grounded for the remainder of the week.  If the coat is not found he would be paying it off with extra chores.  Most likely helping his Dad with outside chores for the next two weekends.  That being said I kind of agree with another poster.  I would not have purchased an $80 coat for a 7 year old.  As for the lost bike, I like the flyers idea but also it has real consequencessalready in that he no longer has his bike.  That all being said I would also check and make sure he isn't sitting next to a close friend in class and see if the teacher would move him to help him be quiet and pay attention.  She may already have though.  And to be honest 7 yr old boys tend to be scattered brained to begin with lol.  My son is responsible for certain things like putting away his bike, putting his things away when getting home from school, etc.  I tend to double check and give him reminders. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN