Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

how much education for a 5 to 6 yr old?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM
  • 29 Replies

When I was 5 1/2 , I attended first grade for a full day. When my DD was 5 1/2 she attended kindengarten for 1/2 day according to our school system. Do you supplement with education for the other 1/2 day or give them free time? 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I supplement, but not through school.  We do it in our everyday life.  Both my kids had 1/2 day kindergarten and they've done just fine.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:05 AM

We have full day kindergarten and still supplemented at home through real life experiences.

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Private year round Montessori kinder here. Only 1 wk off in winter & 1 wk off in summer. Plus DD gets lots of real life supplementation. She has learned cursive, multiplication, to read real chapter books, etc at school, so we have nothing to worry about except spelling when she gets to public first grade.
GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

My son is in half day k & he mostly has free play when not in school. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

My kids all had 1/2 day kindergarten. We supplemented with play, life experiences, and some paperwork (especially for my younger two who like to work on worksheets). We still do supplement in a lot of ways even though my kids are in 6th, 3rd, and 2nd- there are just so many cool things to learn and school can't cover everything. :-)

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

My daughter goes to full day Kindergarten.  Truthfully, I think kids in Kindergarten should still be spending a lot of time playing instead of in the classroom. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I wholeheartedly believe half day kindergarten is a waste of time.  My kids all went to full day and there is no such thing as half day here. Send your kid to full day and let them play the rest of the time.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Our district encourages full day. Though you *can* do half day you just muss all the specials, like pe, art library...

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM

All 3 of mine went to half-day kindy. I just let them play, taking time out to do any homework they might have.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM
We have 1/2 day K too. I sent DD to a daycare for the afternoon. They had a K curriculum so she learned there too. They did cooking classes, Spanish, science. She liked it. DS went to private K so he learned in one class all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN