Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DD starting Kinder, need advice!

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 23 Replies

My DD will be starting Kinder in the fall, and I just went to her "Kinder round up" and filled out paperwork, briefly scanned the hallway, and got her supply list.  I have been working with her, writing, sounding out words, ect.  I really want the best for her, want her to be prepared as much as possible.  I am wanting any advice yall fellow Mothers can give me.  What else should i teach her, what can I expect? 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamawolf1103
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I would say you are on the right track. Where I am they start out learning the letters and numbers so my daughter was bored for about the first month or so because she knew them, but being ahead is better than behind and built up her self confidence a lot.

I would expect a period of crying/not wanting to go to school. My daughter went her first 2 weeks with no problems and them spent a month crying every morning. Her teacher worked with me about helping her feel better and said it was very normal. I didn't see that coming since she had done so well to start.

angie944
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Thank you.  I guess I need to prepare myself just incase my DD starts not wanting to go to school.  I know this change will be dramatic for her since she has never been to daycare or preschool.  She already says she will miss me when she starts school, but I guess I didnt think she could possibly get upset about it.  Is there anything you did or said to make your daughter feel better about going to school everyday?

Quoting mamawolf1103:

I would say you are on the right track. Where I am they start out learning the letters and numbers so my daughter was bored for about the first month or so because she knew them, but being ahead is better than behind and built up her self confidence a lot.

I would expect a period of crying/not wanting to go to school. My daughter went her first 2 weeks with no problems and them spent a month crying every morning. Her teacher worked with me about helping her feel better and said it was very normal. I didn't see that coming since she had done so well to start.

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Not to scare you but kinder is not just about ABC and 1-10 anymore. It's insane the work they do. All you can do is wait until she starts and see how she adjust
angie944
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I heard that, that is why I am worried I havent spent enough time with her so far.  She is starting to sound out and read simple words like "cow, pan, book, spoon, ect"    she can write all the letters, some better than others, and she can read numbers all the way up to 100.  Just random ones like 48, 32, ect.    

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Not to scare you but kinder is not just about ABC and 1-10 anymore. It's insane the work they do. All you can do is wait until she starts and see how she adjust

BlueJane
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad to see I'm not alone! My dd starts in the fall. She's gone to a few classes at the library and church but that's it. We've done some work on letters and numbers and math. I'm sure she'll pick it up once she gets into it. I'm more concerned with the social aspect. I'm planning to work with the teacher to make sure dd gets the most out of school.
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

She will be fine. They work on writing skills, like their name, brave spelling (writing how they think it sounds, even if incorrect... like phone, they might write fon), basic addition 1-10 numbers, sound blends, colors, shapes etc.    Kindergarten isn't over the top. My dd went into shock in 1st grade. But learned so much more than in K.

Quoting angie944:

I heard that, that is why I am worried I havent spent enough time with her so far.  She is starting to sound out and read simple words like "cow, pan, book, spoon, ect"    she can write all the letters, some better than others, and she can read numbers all the way up to 100.  Just random ones like 48, 32, ect.    

Quoting kaylasmom22:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

She will be fine.  My dd went from no preschool to full day kindergarten with no issues.  She did have a few accidents in the beginning since she got so involved in the morning routine she would forget to use the bathroom at school.   Where my dd was behind was the social aspect of following a class routine and her handwriting.  Luckily she had a teacher of over 30 yrs exp so the teacher could tell me what was "normal"and what was not for this age. 

DD is in 1st grade now and still struggling with handwriting due to motor delays.

minimo77
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Between now and then I would get her involved in some sort of kids group, weather that be swimming lessons, art, soccer, or a play group, just so she can get used to taking direction from someone other than yourself. Also, make sure she can button her pants, tie shoes, undo lunch containers(makes for smoother lunch times, sucks if you can eat cause the container is stuck) Also that she knows her phone number and address. ANd lots of reading with her and she should be fine! :)

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Well as long as she knows the basic she will be ok. She needs to read to know directions on how to do the  work. Whatever she doesn't know she will learn as  time goes on. This group is pretty helpful, so you came to the right one. DD is going to 1st grade in Sept and im freaking out lol

Quoting angie944:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Make sure she can do up her coat/jacket and shoes herself and can use the restroom completely on her own. She needs to be able to follow directions, listen well, sit quietly, work independently when need be, share nicely, and be able to wait for a few minutes.

Kids come into kindergarten at all different levels of readiness in terms of academics. She should be fine : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)