Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 10 yr old and food.... help?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 10 yr old has gotten a little chunky in the middle. She's about 5 ft tall. She hasn't been weighed in awhile so I don't know how much right now and can't remember how much she weighed at her last appt. I wanted to encourage her to do more physical activity. She loves to read and will go to the park and sit on something and read while everyone else is playing. I saw her play with a girl that had this mini basketball and she was having a blast so I bought her one. Now she will play with it everyday after school at the court on the school playground. She does this for about half an hour and then other kids show up and then she plays tag and such with them. This has been good for her and I hope this helps with the middle pudge.

Now there is a food problem. Lately she has been bringing almost her whole lunch home with her. I try to pack her an assortment of things and change things from week to week. For 3 weeks her sandwich has been untouched. Her water looks like she only took a sip. I put baked lays in a baggie, usually about 5-6 chips. Untouched. She has eaten the peach cups but won't touch the sliced oranges. I have tried asking her about it and she tells me she didn't have time.  When this first started she would snack on her leftovers on the way home but she doesn't even do that anymore. I asked her just now what she wanted for lunch tomorrow and this is what she said. Boiled egg w/ pepper and a juice. Nothing else? No. Last week when I asked her all she wanted was plain tuna in a container and fat free chocolate milk. I threw in some peaches anyway and she did eat those. Is this strange? We typically don't eat these things this way. Is there something I am missing or something I should be doing differently?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM
In another group we were just talking about girls at this age and how they feel about body image and its driving them to diet at very early ages and not eat esp in front of other kids unless their food choices meet with the groups idea of what's appropriate and not fattening. Girls are harsh on each other. They scrutinize each other and the lunch box and clothes and on and on.
andyroosmama
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Self image is developing and so is development of the body. She is also about to hit a growth spurt and she shouldn't be eating less than before... I would make the school aware of your concern about her lack of appetite and see if they can help make sure she is eating her lunch... I have all boys, so mine eat everything in sight... namely my Andrew, who has a goal to be 6'9" and weigh 350lbs and be a linebacker for Pittsburgh... he is 9 right now... blank stare

dtm1491
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

One of two things could be happening. She could be on a diet and not want to tell you or she truly does not have time. In my dd's school they have 20 minutes to eat and 20 minutes for recess. If they are still eating lunch after 20 minutes it cuts into recess time. I would talk to her and ask.

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I think you need to try to find out, in a non judgmental way, if she is on a diet or just not that hungry right now.  If she's just not that hungry, or not that into food, as long as what she does eat is healthy an well balanced, it's fine.  If she's on a diet, see if she'll talk about why, and how she's feeling about herself.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

does she eat a big breakfast, and have an earlier lunch? My dd's lunch is at 11 and she isn't very hungry she says. But she eats right when she comes home, often spoiling dinner. Lets of kids get a little pudgy before a growth spurt.

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:41 AM
I too would sit down with her and ask her about it, not in a judging mother way. ;) i know sometimes my questions go unanswered becayse of the way i word it. If she wants a diet tell her you will help her and start researching together healthy menus; how nany calories one needs, etc. And explain that if she eats too little she can actually gain weight...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by Crystal on May. 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM
My 10 year old has always been thin, but lately I noticed her stomach getting bigger. I'm pretty sure its a mix of a growth spurt and puberty. I'm not concerned about it, since she isn't.

As for he not eating much, does she eat a normal amout at home for breakfast and dinner? What does she eat for lunch on weekends? I was never a big lunch eater, I was usually not hungry, I'm still like that.If she is eating normal other times I would pack what she asks for as long as its healthy.
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like she's trying to diet.  Please talk to her about healthy eating and healthy exercise.  Kids this age can go way over the top with dieting and develop anorexia

mom23heathens
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM
For breakfast she eats like one and a half of those microwave pancakes and a sausage patty. She'll either have non fat chocolate milk or even iced coffee with her breakfast. She eats breakfast at 6:30 and her lunch at school is at 11:05. She gets out at 3:20 and then we hang around the school for at least an hour afterwards before we walk home. I try to have dinner ready sometime before around 530- 6 o'clock so I usually try to get her to have a snack right after school. This is usually a handful of honey nut cheerios or maybe some crackers and peanut butter.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

does she eat a big breakfast, and have an earlier lunch? My dd's lunch is at 11 and she isn't very hungry she says. But she eats right when she comes home, often spoiling dinner. Lets of kids get a little pudgy before a growth spurt.

gonecrazi
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

She could be trying to be like her friends at school. As long as she is eating breakfast and dinner I would worry too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)